Thanks EZ and Squirreltow

pafixitman

Reaction score
EZ called me Monday and said he had the week off and would like to help me with the truck. :thumbsup: I arranged some time off and Squirreltow ended up with the "executive flu" for today. Had some issues, but got some major work accomplished. Many, many thanks!

BTW-
Torque wrench from Habor Freight - $12
Torque wrench from Sears - $82
Knowing the head bolts are torqued correctly - priceless

Squirreltow was using my newly aquired HF torque wrench to install the old exhaust manifold bolts when all of a sudden...snap...at 24 lbs...***? Ended up breaking three. I ran to the store as Chris and EZ removed the broken bolts. New hardware, a bottom tap and a new wrench.:thumbsup: Thank goodness the broken bolt happened on the exhaust manifold with the head sitting in the driveway rather than a headbolt in the truck!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Squirreltow was using my newly aquired HF torque wrench to install the old exhaust manifold bolts when all of a sudden...snap...at 24 lbs...***? Ended up breaking three. I ran to the store as Chris and EZ removed the broken bolts. New hardware, a bottom tap and a new wrench.:thumbsup: Thank goodness the broken bolt happened on the exhaust manifold with the head sitting in the driveway rather than a headbolt in the truck!

Dude, I gotta wonder how those bolts broke. If the person who was driving that torque wrench didn't realize they were exerting enough force, compared to 24 ft/lbs., to break a bolt, whew!!! If it was a torque wrench problem, I would have thought the user would have noticed in a heart beat that it was taking that much more to break these bolts, or were the bolts in poor shape? That being said, a torque wrench is not a tool I would purchase at HF. Any job important enough for me to pull out a torque wrench would require a high quality tool. I have a KD and a Craftsman, both in 1/2 and 3/8 and I regularly check them against each other, well regularly when I was doing that kind of work. I actually had my KDs calibrated every year as well.

pafixitman

Reaction score
They were the original bolts and we all started to question what was going on when the first one snapped. The others snapped when I went to remove them.

I honestly did not think a HF torque wrench would be that bad!:rolleyes:

Some action photos:

Attachments

• truck1.JPG
    truck1.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 27
  • TRUCK2.JPG
    TRUCK2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 22
  • truck3.JPG
    truck3.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 21
  • truck4.JPG
    truck4.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 34
  • truck5.JPG
    truck5.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 27

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually broke an exhaust manifold bolt or two when I did my head gaskets too. So are we to take it that Pafixitman is once again riding in IDI style?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Not yet, JD. Getting closer though. Today was a very good boost to my moral though. Prior to today I just felt like I was so far behind, I would never get it done. IP, turbo, rad, alt, etc and she will be done.

I really hoped to get further, but we chased threads, cleaned surfaces, and took our time. I know it is going back together correctly so that is a huge worry off my shoulders.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
:thumbsup: I'm happy to see the engine back to a whole, We did **** our time but as Joe said it is done to best of our knowledge. Also We did notice it was a bit to strange that it was neccesary for Joe and I to hold the head so Chriss would torque them but hey maybe with old bolts it harder :rolleyes: . Anyway it was for the best bc joe bought some new bolts and it worked out soo much better. Now it is just a matter of getting to it one more day and it will be good to go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those exhaust manifold bolts are special. Not just any bolt will do. What grade did you buy and did you install them in an area that will allow you to easily replace them if they are too weak? I bought 2 sets from Ford Parts Omline. They went in hard so I chaced the threads on 2 of them and they went in very easily. So, then I went to my spare motor and pulled 2, cleaned the dirt off them and installed them. I think they were hard going in so they wont loosen up with all the heat cycles these manifolds go thru. Maybe I'm all wet but thats my story and I'm sticking to it...... I did bottom tap clean the bolt holes in EVERY hole in the heads. Even the injectors that were really tuff.....;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great Joe! Glad to see such good progress. I've been too busy to help out, and for that I'm sorry. Looks like a good group of experts there though. As for the torque wrench thing though.....

:frustrate

You know what I'm going to tell you. :rolleyes:

pafixitman

Reaction score
:rolleyes: I know Mel!

Gary, I used grade 5. Nobody in town had grade 8 1 3/4" long. The thought of them being "special" is / was in the back of my head. Hopefully I'll be ok.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow looks good Joe! I've been wondering how things were going...haven't been able to check in to regularly here lately. :rolleyes: I'm jealous...seeing those pics brings back good memories! cookoo LOL Glad to see you got some good help this time too!! :D