Test please ignore

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to- Install an Electric Fuel Pump in your IDI

NOTE- I am no expert on this, but during my install I consulted the forum many times with questions, figured I would try and create one thread that could answer most questions people may encounter, and show those skeptical about making the switch just how easy it is.

WHAT YOU NEED

-Fuel pump (I used the Facet Dura-Lift/Carrier Transcold Pump supplied by Sir Genlightning

You must be registered for see images attach

-2 1/8 MPT-3/8 hose barb brass fittings (90 degree)

-1 brass fitting to fit onto your pump inlet (Mine was destroyed so i bought a 1/4 MPT-3/8 MPT angle piece, and a 3/8 FPT to 3/8 hose barb and used that)
Also some people probably feel better using thread-locker, some probably don't. I did on the fuel filter housing threads

-Male Connector Piece (Doorman female 2 terminal tower PN 85390)
Purchased at Pep boys for around $10, im sure you can find it cheaper
online)
I realize you can just cut the connector end off the pump and so splices, but I chose to take this route in case I ever have to temporarily remove the pump, will be easy off and on.

-Various Electrical connector pieces (splice, ring terminal, shrink wrap, conduit if you want it to look professional)

- Relay

-Fuel Pump Block off plate for Big Block Chevy

Mounting bracket (i had to create one, so doubt pieces of steel from home depot meant for building decks

Came out with this

___PROCEDURE___

MOUNTING THE PUMP-

-Mount bracket to Passenger side front fender. I just used screws/fender washers/nuts, nothing fancy

-Attach Brass Fittings to the pump, and attach pump to bracket

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j448/btponcini/?action=view&current=DSCN1033.jpg

ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION-

-Attach Doorman male connector to female connector on pump
(Product may be mislabeled, my male connector was labeled female)

First work the ground wire

-Splice in additional black wire long enough to reach a solid ground. I used this ground next to the pass side battery
-Hook up another wire to the chassis ground, and attach it to the relay (Pin 86)

-Pull battery voltage from nearby always powered source (I chose this thing near the battery, im sure someone will inform everyone what it is) And make sure to have an inline 5amp fuse. Hook up to the relay (Pin #30)

-Hook up electric pump power wire to relay (Pin 87)

-Splice a wire into your fuel shutoff solenoid (Ontop of your injector pump) And hook the other end of the wire to the relay (Pin 85)

(Forgot to take a picture before i covered in conduit! Sorry!)

In case you are wondering, the relay will have numbered terminals that correspond with those 4 numbers on it.

Last edited:

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CONTINUED-

FUEL LINE INSTALLATION-

NOTE- before cracking fuel lines, make sure you dont have a full tank of fuel, and the nose of your truck isnt pointing downhill. It will make fuel continuously come out of the hard line from the tank due to gravity. My hair smells like diesel :dunno

-Remove 2 fuel pump bolts, and remove mechanical fuel pump

(I found this to be the best setup to get to the PITA back fuel pump bolt, 9/16 head)

-Punt airtex fuel pump into nearest dumpster;Sweet

-Install Big Block Chevy fuel pump block off plate to cover fuel pump mounting location.

-Disconnect hard fuel inlet line from fuel filter housing

-Connect your brass fittings to the filter inlet, Mine looked like this

-Hook up a piece of 3/8 ID Flexible fuel hose from the pressure side of the electric pump to your fuel filter inlet. (Use a good brand! Gates, Goodyear, My local IH dealer uses Dayco, so thats what I used! Made in America and I have had great luck with the company in the past!

Hook up flexible tube from inlet side of Electric fuel pump to hard fuel line coming from tanks

I bought I think 5 and a half feet of hose, did NOT want to have to make a trip back there, had some extra

-Turn your key to the run position and here your new pump In all its glory, Then depress the valve on the fuel filter housing until diesel fuel comes out.

-When you try and start the truck, it primed REALLY fast compared to the mechanical style pump!!

-Tighten anything lose, fix any leaks, etc, make sure rubber fuel hose is properly routed and not rubbing on anything, install protection if nessesary

I put conduit around all my wiring, makes the pump installation look stock and professional, and keeps it safe from chafing.

You are now the proud owner/operator of a electric fuel pump, and No longer have to worry about diesel fuel being pumped strait into your crankcase upon diaphragm rupture!

Special Thanks to Everyone who helped with my questions while doing my install, figured I would put all the info together in one post so that in the future people can be directed here when they are confused.

Special thanks to RHKCommander for his explanation of the wiring, Which I am quoting here for future reference in case anyone has any confusion about relays

a relay is simply a switch,which in this case will switch ON when you turn the key forward.it's turned on for you when it receives power.
you'll use the FSS line (or any line you want,that is powered when you turn the key to run.)
the FSS is the top center most solenoid on the ip.

you want fused power directly from the battery to your pump (not a draw from the fss,or other trigger wire.)

very simple.
run a wire with a built in fuse holder (holding a 5 amp fuse for this pump)
to pin #30.
run your pumps + wire into pin #87
run a ground wire to pin #86 (negative terminal or chassis ground)
run the wire you spliced into the FSS line into pin #85
- pumps line simply goes to ground of course as you mentioned being already done.(negative terminal, frame,wherever is grounded good.)

now when you turn the key forward,the FSS power wire tells the "switch" (relay) to simply open/turn on,making pins 87 and 30 a direct connection,thus making the pump spin via a direct flow of electricity from the battery which is protected via a fuse and the whole works.

And Special Thanks to Genlightning for the deal on the pump! If you buy the carrier pump at NAPA it lists for $150!

*If anyone has anything to add feel free! Figure in the future people can search this thread and find all the info they need instead of having to search a dozen or so threads AND ask repetitive questions like I did!*

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online