TENSIONER UPDATE

CH302K

Reaction score
I just spent 15 days trying to remove the torx bolt from the idler.I ended up removing the radiator.I tried a 3/8 impact to remove the bolt.It just rattled.I put a 1/2 impact and stripped the bolt.I removed a part of the pulley by using a 3in cutoff wheel.I tried vise grips with a cheater.nope.I used a 3lb hammer and 14in chiesl.I now broke ogg the pedistal off of the cover.I removed the cover to get the part welded back on.A TIG weld is 100.00.I found a shop in Spring Texas that tears down 7.3 and shelfs the parts.He had a 1994 cover.Mine is a 1993 for 50.00.I bought it.I had to return the 1993 tenisioner and get a 1994.I bought a idler from Ford.They have a new and improved pulley.It is wider and with lips.I put it all together and tied to install the belt.nope.Back to the parts store.A 1994 belt is 1in longer.It's running now and believe the belt will stay on now with the updates.
You guys helped alot. Thanks
oh the truck is for sale.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All for one little bolt. Congratulations on getting it back together

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tremendous amount of work because of one stubborn bolt. This happens on occasion and I have been there a number of times myself as most likely some of the others here. IT SUCKS.

Now as for having it done....THATS AWESOME STUFF....glad it worked out for you and didn't cost as much as you had anticipated when the mounting bracket broke. GOOD FIND! Do they by chance have a VAN serpentine bracket? Could you ask? It is different, only in that it uses a different power steering pump.

Sorry to hear that your selling your truck. Hopefully you will find a buyer promptly.

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to learn you had such a time doing this easy job but.. Sounds like soneone really messed up the last time they installed that bolt. Look at the front of the tensioner. There is a tension scale and a pointer. It will clearly tel you if the belt in the correct length. Nice find on the parts too. Maybe post it up here so others can give a call for parts.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I just spent 15 days trying to remove the torx bolt from the idler.I ended up removing the radiator.I tried a 3/8 impact to remove the bolt.It just rattled.I put a 1/2 impact and stripped the bolt.I removed a part of the pulley by using a 3in cutoff wheel.I tried vise grips with a cheater.nope.I used a 3lb hammer and 14in chiesl.I now broke ogg the pedistal off of the cover.I removed the cover to get the part welded back on.A TIG weld is 100.00.I found a shop in Spring Texas that tears down 7.3 and shelfs the parts.He had a 1994 cover.Mine is a 1993 for 50.00.I bought it.I had to return the 1993 tenisioner and get a 1994.I bought a idler from Ford.They have a new and improved pulley.It is wider and with lips.I put it all together and tied to install the belt.nope.Back to the parts store.A 1994 belt is 1in longer.It's running now and believe the belt will stay on now with the updates.
You guys helped alot. Thanks
oh the truck is for sale.

Part Number?:sly

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez, sounds like you had a couple "im gona sell this pos" moments. I've been in a few myself, hope that's the only reason your selling her....there good trucks and don't cost a fortune to maintain

I recently did the oilcooler and my dad did the tensioner...the cooler took me.~ 5 weeks. And trust me I was not a happy camper...cant sell her cause i still get that ******* whenever I hear those eight pistons banging .....and I'm sure thr other members can atest to this feeling haha

Any who thats my take on it, Good luck with the sale