Temp gauge

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
91 n/a 7.3 my engine temp gauge does not seem to be working. I just got the truck and have put 50 hwy miles on it and drove it around town and didnt budge the temp it was pegged cold. All the other ones work and when I feel the engine its hot. Is it not getting hot because im not pulling weight or is my gauge probably not working? Im about to use this truck as a DD and want to make sure I have a working gauge. I will go and buy one I just need someone to post a picture of the location to plug the sender into.

thanks.

darwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thermostat? Mine did the same thing. It would not budge. I replaced the thermostat and now it will go to about the 'N' on normal. If I drive down a hill it will drop like a rock.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
91 n/a 7.3 my engine temp gauge does not seem to be working. I just got the truck and have put 50 hwy miles on it and drove it around town and didnt budge the temp it was pegged cold. All the other ones work and when I feel the engine its hot. Is it not getting hot because im not pulling weight or is my gauge probably not working? Im about to use this truck as a DD and want to make sure I have a working gauge. I will go and buy one I just need someone to post a picture of the location to plug the sender into.

thanks.

Dont worry, my temp gauge is the exact same way, though it moves right to the cold mark. Even though its up to temp at 190*. I put my temp probe in the top of the water pump where that pipe plug thing is, works good ;Sweet

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Thanks, I just dont want to worry about blowing a hose and over heating this thing or something. I take it that the stock sensor just isnt very sensitive or something?

Will going to a aftermarket mechanical coolent temp gauge fix this problem?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Thanks, I just dont want to worry about blowing a hose and over heating this thing or something. I take it that the stock sensor just isnt very sensitive or something?

Will going to a aftermarket mechanical coolent temp gauge fix this problem?

Aftermarket gauges are much better. Ford doesn't have the best reliablity when it comes to gauges (especially the fuel gauges in these older trucks). I haven't gotten aftermarkets installed yet, but in 80 degree weather pulling a loaded trailer and boosting, I only get my factory gauge up to the "O" in "NORMAL" on the gauge (even at an idle). Most of the time, the needle on the gauge sits on the "N".

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If I remember I put the probe for My temp gauge in the driver side head toward the front of the engine, that is where it gets the highest temperature in the engine I believe.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can pull off the wire and ground it... the gauge should move... You might need a new T-stat. Lets say your T-stat is stuck in slightly open position... it will always flow water. Hows your heater, work good, blow hot???

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, my heat does come on pretty fast and it blows hot. Im going to put in a mech gauge this weekend and see what happens and see if the T-stat is working or not.

thanks oldbull for the diagram good to have.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that guy's. I'll put it in my web pages. Forgot that is from thedieselstop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin