TECH 101 Flat Deck filler MOD

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I've had enough I'm FULLY Frustrated (that's nicely put) with how stupid the fuel filler on my flat deck and how the service box was as well.

Today started the process of some MODS on my 1 tons fuel filler. I began by doing some mild cuts and to a couple of stock diesel fuel filler necks and removing the guts

Here is the base line situation as it currently exists on my truck, I'm only currently running the front tank but I've got shots how it would be for rear too...

The angle of the bend and the neck length and so forth make it very difficult to get fuel into the truck with a stock neck currently
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the spot ahttp://www.oilburners.net/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=34 rear fuel filler neck hose would come out, and still that bent neck just wouldn't work well

Here I'm cutting off one end of the filler neck, I love my chain pipe/tubing cutter!

I removed the first part and am cutting off the bend...then I took the bend off the inner hose!

I'm using a input shaft from an auto trans as a punch to drive out the inner restriction out of the short neck I created above

Here is the filler neck with hose I drove out of the neck in the above image...can you say RESTRICTIVE?????

Here I've got two necks done, yes I know one is longer don't ask why I don't know and don't really care! notice the bends I cut out...

I went to "The Car Doctor" in Cawston, he has an exhaust bender and tubing and picked up some tubing and had it swedged to fit into/onto the parts I'm working on. He charged me $10.00 for 3 1/2 feet of 2" exhaust pipe and spread two ends for me. Perfect, I'm only doing one tank for now, I'll do more later!

Here is the exhuast tubing with the stretched end with my filler neck in...resting in place..

Here is the end of filler neck stretched to fit exhaust tube...on the exhaust tube...FOR PHOTO OP only

This gives you the idea I am going for...

So I took the time to measure and cut the tube and then brazed them together, this was the end result I have here, (forgot to take pics during that time...DOH) Anyway I've installed it here

You can see the slope of the tubing here it's not super steep but it's better than what I had previously

I still have to do the roll over mod that's coming, this was an attempt to get set for that mod. I'll keep ya posted.

There is also a mounting bracket that will be fabbed up that sits behind the flange on the neck. I'll be making two for the truck of course one front one rear. I'll work on those in next few days.

I wasnt sure if I was going to have enough photos for a second section of this thread so guess not...

That about wraps up this portion as I'm on lunch for now!

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW....freaking amazing the difference this one little mod did for me. I had the dreaded squeeze click, squeeze click, squeeze click, squeeze click splash going on.... prior to doing just this simple filler tube mod.

Now tonight, I opened the filler nozzle to WFO and no issue...dumped fuel in at the service station as fast as I could pump it in!

I will do the ROLL over mod (harpooning) I think it's called, I just needed to get this done first so I could determine material needs, and I need to calculate in enough material for the rear tank roll over mod too. Also I wanted to see how it would all fit together...I like it so far so it's only going to be better.

It was a night and day difference to my earlier test of a bent filler neck with no internal restriction, it still did the squeeze click, squeeze click and so I'm pleased that so far for $10.00 invested and some time and effort the payoff was immense!

The roll over mod will go in this thread too....FYI once I get the stuff for it.

Thanks for lookin

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The squeeze click issues with our tank filling is due to the tiny air slot in the filler necks. The design is we send fuel down the inside small tube to the tanks. Then the air that gets displaced has to travel up the outside of the tiny plastic filler tube in the meatl fill spout and out thru a tiny slit in the top. I see you opened yours up planty Al but I guess it was not enough. Nice job too but you need to clean off that work bench. That way you will have more room to play...:sly:angel:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al.. I'm like an old wich with a broom nagging till I get what I want.. Never a whiner like a fat kid crying for some chettios or a pot pie...:eek: Poor little fat boy Cartman... Nobody likes him but I sure enjoy laughing at him and the others on South Park.... They really need some Toms Farm Ford truck wrecks in that show....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK so I"ve had some time with this setup now and for the most part it works quite well. At fuel stations like Chevron, Esso, etc it's great...though I think there is room to improve it.

However......

When I go to bulk station and use that location with the BIG filler nozzle I gotta weep it in as the slope of my filler neck does not move a lot of fuel fast and alas...lacking the filler VENT mod does not help...

SO my rear tank filler neck setup will be getting done this week If all goes to plan. IN HOPES OF A NEW 38 gallon rear tank!

I've got most of the parts for the VENT mod, and I'll update the rear filler and do a separate pictutorial TECH 101 for it as well.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an idea but if you have a headache rack that is wide enough, come up through the bed floor at an angle and then cut a hole about 4'' up from the bottom of rack an mount your neck there. I saw it done once on a 01 super duty with a flatbed and he could use the big semi nozzle wide open. I will try to get a hold of the guy an get some pics if you are interested

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an idea but if you have a headache rack that is wide enough, come up through the bed floor at an angle and then cut a hole about 4'' up from the bottom of rack an mount your neck there. I saw it done once on a 01 super duty with a flatbed and he could use the big semi nozzle wide open. I will try to get a hold of the guy an get some pics if you are interested

Great idea....great idea...and ya pics for sure. It would be worth it for pics for certain!

I am not going to be able to though as I"m cutting my deck back 27" and installing a super cab which comes up right over the tank inlet! I don't NORMALLY use semi bulk station so not an issue...however I suspect the addition of a decent vent will alleviate a great deal of that problem.

Thanks

Al

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Cant rember which company it is but one of the aluminum flatbed makers does exactly that (filler neck in headache rack)

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issue I have with my role over mod is foam and fuel leak out with I'm feeling it all the way up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online