Tank Switching Valve Failure

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new valve from Ford I installed just last year failed on my '86. Thought it was the sender on the front tank. Fortunately, it's just within the Ford 12/12 warranty so I'm getting a new one. Dang near ran out of fuel. Thought the tank had switched from front to rear... but noooo. Tank doesn't switch, even though the signal is given. For testing, the manual talks about a Rotunda tester. Has anyone ever seen one. I checked the old fashioned way (which is also shown in the manual) but there are no pics of the tester int he manual.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you're sitting down... $260. The old one I replaced wasn't bad but it got broken when I pulled the engine... the fuel line hooked onto something on the back of the engine and got yanked just hard enough to break off one of the ports on the valve.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With these old trucks that might have rusty/dirty fuel tanks, that is if they have never been cleaned. If you have dual tanks with an FSV, I put these filters ahead of the FSV on my 92 and my Class C Ford motor home. Saves a lot of headaches and money. There cheap, larger ones are available also.

Attachments

• DVC01683.JPG
    DVC01683.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 49

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:thumbsup:That filter is a great idea Bill. Only isue I might have with it is if it gets dirty the flow will stop. Thats not a bad thing but its sure beats the hell out of a $260.00 replacement valve too. My valve stuck one time so maybe its time to take a closer look at it.. Probably going to the wrecking yard and find a newer looking valve under a truck... Funny how new parts turn up sometimes on junked cars and trucks. Got my hydroboost that way...:sly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally never buy an FSV off a Dealer. This is the one I put on my Motor Home from Autozone. The mount was different and I don't recall how the mount is on my 92 truck. The Motor home had a verticle mount, the one from AZ is horizontal mount as the pic shows, didn't take much to adapt it.
Here is the one from AZ. They are both made by the same company Pollack, there the only one that makes them.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...wqk7Z8ve9x?itemIdentifier=518461_334727_5320_

Attachments

• DVC01507.JPG
    DVC01507.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 41

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Putting filters before the valve is a great idea, although those little paper jobs could clog fast with a bad batch.
I've got dual dura lift pumps, one on each tank before my manual valves, as a result of my bed tank positioning ( and I like teh redundancy ) but the big drop bowl with the screen setup will catch just about anything.
What I'm getting at , is you can buy those drop bowl water seperator trash screens with about 70-80 micron screens by themselves that you could plumb in before the FSV and then you could easily see them getting clogged and could clean the screens easily without having to take them off the hose