Talk With Brian @ BTS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Today Brian called me for information on what I'm running and what I do with my truck. These questions were so he could build my trans to what I need. I had plenty of questions for him too.First off I asked him if my tps setting of .77 volts at idle killed my trans. He thought no, but it did keep the torque converter from locking up. Thats why it looks all burned on the outside of it. Also this stock tc has 25 square inches of clutch material that is locked up by 125 lbs of line pressure. His supplied tc has 150 square inches of clutch material on the same line pressure. It doesn't have the 4 studs sticking out of it but has drilled and threaded holes for both 4 and 6 bolt setups so it installs much easier and its a triple clutch plate tc. Now I see why my trans failed. He thought my hp was around 225 till I told him what I have done to my motor so we upped that hp "some". Every gear gets 1 more clutch except first-reverse which gets 4 extra. I asked him to compare his trans with Suncoast because I had been looking at what they offer. The BTS trans in the E4OD type has only the shell thats the same. I need a differant flywheel torque plate setup because his supplied tc wont fit inside the 3 part flywheel setup I have now. His is just too large to fit inside the cast inron mass wheel I have. Seems Ford used this for some time because it offered more torque with the heavy spinning mass. Kinda like the old engines of yesteryear with the huge heavy flywheels. Another better idea brought to you by the engineers of FOMOCO... So now I wait for the delievery of my trans and then look out cause I'm back on the road..... Cost of all this..... Priceless...... Actually I don't have that yet but its really worth the piece of mind knowing this is the last E4OD I will be buying... Unless I buy another IDI for my fleet... Gees, don't some of you guys buy crewcab duallys for the wives...:dunno :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How so Bill? Its a nice day for a road trip... The town has about 250 people living in it.... They are really nice people to talk with too..... Get going....:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless I buy another IDI for my fleet... Gees, don't some of you guys buy crewcab duallys for the wives...:dunno :D

That line didn't work when I brought home the '06 CC dually:hail :backoff Wish you all the best with the completely overhauled truck. Man you need a break soon...... like months ago.

The answer you are looking for is ZF-5.
:rotflmao I used to think like that.... Until I was sitting in line and creeping forward dropping off and picking the kid up at school everyday with my bad knees.... I was quite happy with the 4R100 (the brother to the E4OD) and very happy with the 5R110:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The BTS warranty......... Any horsepower, Any torque...... No questions asked..... Thats priceless to me. Sure Ford has a 3 year 36000 mile warranty but its kinda like the Pep Boys warranty. You have a lifetime free replacement. You pay for it once.... But you will be replaceing it again and again... But its free.... I need realiablity, not lifetime no cost to me replacement. Sure, I could have a Ford reman repaired anywhere in the US but gees. I want to drive without "thinking about it". Actually BTS says the 2 year 24000 mile warranty is just something to post. They stand behind what they build for you. Now, on to the next daily driver super motor build up. Maybe a stroker kit???:D

Last edited:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
That's awesome. I hope your BTS works out well. I can't wait to get one myself when one day I have more money. ;Sweet

The TC clutch area difference is insane. 6 times more area is alot!

Last edited:

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BTS warranty......... Any horsepower, Any torque...... No questions asked..... Thats priceless to me. Sure Ford has a 3 year 36000 mile warranty but its kinda like the Pep Boys warranty. You have a lifetime free replacement. You pay for it once.... But you will be replaceing it again and again... But its free.... I need realiablity, not lifetime no cost to me replacement. Sure, I could have a Ford reman repaired anywhere in the US but gees. I want to drive without "thinking about it". Actually BTS says the 2 year 24000 mile warranty is just something to post. They stand behind what they build you you. Now, on to the next daily driver super motor build up. Maybe a stroker kit???:D

YUP YUP... its kind of like the local parts house autozone..... they offer lifetime replacment on there parts... and that is all well and fine, but when the part breaks, alternator stops charging, starter stops starting half way to you vacation spot, you will have wished you had paid $5 more and got a quality part, not a lifetime replacment part

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Gary - I rode in Dave Tosh's PSD Monster a few years ago with his BTS Trans and that thing shifted like a manual - when the gear change came it got in gear now and I mean now - I could really see the faults of the stock E4OD after taking a ride in his truck. The lock up is simply amazing - I highly doubt you will be dissapointed.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BTS warranty......... Any horsepower, Any torque...... No questions asked..... Thats priceless to me. Sure Ford has a 3 year 36000 mile warranty but its kinda like the Pep Boys warranty. You have a lifetime free replacement. You pay for it once.... But you will be replaceing it again and again... But its free.... I need realiablity, not lifetime no cost to me replacement. Sure, I could have a Ford reman repaired anywhere in the US but gees. I want to drive without "thinking about it". Actually BTS says the 2 year 24000 mile warranty is just something to post. They stand behind what they build for you. Now, on to the next daily driver super motor build up. Maybe a stroker kit???:D

I had a BTS built for my '91 F-350 after another guy's rebuild failed after 30,000 miles; unfortunately on shifting into reverse the truck would threaten to stall (or would do so), belching loads of black smoke. Stopped at BTS to have the problem fixed while on a move from California to South Carolina and thought we'd resolved the problem, but it reared its ugly head again after I got to South Carolina.

After paying to ship the transmission from/to Georgia when it was rebuilt in 2003 or 2004, I wasn't about to do another round-trip shipment of the trans back to Brian in 2006. In all forward gears, the trans was a joy to drive... wish we could have licked the Reverse problem, which may have been a wiring problem or computer problem for all I know. I might still be driving that '91 F-350 today. Fond memories of pulling a 10,000 pound horse trailer in overdrive on flat interstate after that transmission went in. Thankfully never had to back up with that particular trailer. :)

Last I heard the truck is driven from PA to Mexico and back, on occasion, by its new owner. Thought he pulled a sailboat... dunno.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online