Tachometer

sassyrel

Reaction score
trj--line up the timing marks---dont remember where read it---havent had to do it--and then remove the ip,lines,and housing,and put the late mdl one on---me thinks theres no prov--unless you put it in where the timing hole is for the timing sensor--for timing the truck--and then youd probably have to degree it to the tach--i/e to make sure the r's are right--

Evil_Jester

it wont die...
Reaction score
well, like you said, figure out how many teeth are on the ip gear and make a wheel the same. u could also count the teeth on the flexplate ring gear, if its close(not off by more than a few teeth) u could put the sensor in the inspection cover thing(if its an auto).

if you gonna use the stock tach it might just be easiest to get the gear cover with the hole in it for the sensor. i often thought of putting the autometer tach in my stock cluster, but im ditching the old 6.9 for a cummins.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Honestly, I would think there is no "easy" way to do this. I too want one on mine, and will try to use the dakota digital dash adapter since my tach is out of a gasser and the signal is off of the 6.9.

SWS

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i think issapro makes a 4000 rpm diesel tach seems to be a pretty simple hook up why not use that?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, like you said, figure out how many teeth are on the ip gear and make a wheel the same. u could also count the teeth on the flexplate ring gear, if its close(not off by more than a few teeth) u could put the sensor in the inspection cover thing(if its an auto).

if you gonna use the stock tach it might just be easiest to get the gear cover with the hole in it for the sensor. i often thought of putting the autometer tach in my stock cluster, but im ditching the old 6.9 for a cummins.
you need to check out this thread;Sweet
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24463
you can thank EZ69 for the photos.