Tach install and gauge freshening up

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I hated not having a tach since I got this truck, so I managed to find a tach, ordered a sensor, and got it all cleaned up and installed. I've had 5 80-86 Fords and this is the first now with clean presentable gauges I can actually see clearly. Amazing what a difference it makes and for only a few bucks in paint and some bulbs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Actual brightness as seen by the eye somewhere between these two, much brighter with the 5 SMD LEDs I used. LEDS from hipoparts and are polarity sensitive so locate hot and ground and orient appropriately as marked on the bulb. Note I did not paint the auto trans needle as the truck with be getting a ZF5 and I have a manual column and block off plate for it.

Model Masters Fluorescent yellow for the yellow of redline and HiPoParts fluorescent red for the needles and redline.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! I absolutely love that dash. That's the holy grail of dashes right there. I will find me one someday

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Good looking! I have a tach-equipped instrument gauge waiting for that same treatment. Maybe this will get me to do it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Man those are bright, but look great.
Are you able to adjust the brightness?

As far as I know (still learning some stuff) all LEDs are polarity sensitive.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Wonder if it would be possible to use green or better red on them for night driving. Blue light is harsh to the eyes in the dark (hence why theaters, observatorys, etc use red lights). The green seems "soft" on the eyes to me, but red would be better. Now if I could change the colors of my stereo face plate..

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Show Off"...lol. Very nice. I went as far as looking at my faded needles when it was out, got the McGuiers plastic polish for the lens, and a little dusting of the black was as far as I got.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I used warm white 5 SMD LEDs from hipoparts.com. I kept the blue light filters and just cleaned the dust off of them. I was hoping to retain more of the blue/green hue of the original incandescent bulbs but the result is still very good. If I were to do it again I would consider using green LEDs without the filters but my concern is without the filters the light may be more concentrated resulting in very bright spots.

I also ordered LEDs for the reverse lights and misc other lights mainly in the cab. Haven't installed them yet but based on the dash lights I'm expecting much brighter than incandescent.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I really like the brightnes of the lower pic. My dash lits are dim and I hate them. I have done everything I can but I feel it my eyes thats the issue. Driving in daylite I can't see my dash and look out the windshield. My eyes are slow to adjust to the darker colors of the dash. Sometimes I actually need to shine a flashlite on the dash during daytime to see whats going on.. suxs getting old...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Down the road (got other repair irons in the fire) I'll be ordering the green leds. I'm tempted to put red in, but worry that may be too dark. The green at night is pleasing to my eyes, so i'll stick with the stock color. I'm tempted to order them now because they are so cheap, but I need to save up my money for tires and engine parts!

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen on dash with red lights on FTE but he made it a white face pannel. looked pretty dang sharp with the red lights IMO

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those slant gauges are easier than the brick or obs trucks.

Looks like the light shines from the sides. (Right? Wrong?)

On brick and obs, it shines through the back, which has a green paint you have to remove.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online