T19 reverse gear rough, idler thrashed

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys I've worked myself into a bit of a pickle. I've got my truck down working on a T19 tranny swap, but when we tore into it we found the reverse idler gear is missing a chunk out of it and the reverse gear itself has some pretty bad wear on it, to the point of having rounded edges. My question is would you all suggest trying to fix this thing or just going to the junkyard and trying to find another or a T18/ NP435 to go with all the T19 parts I've already sourced. I eagerly await your input.
JD

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ouch, depends on what it costs to replace the gears, have you priced them out? around here you can score another 4 speed in the 1-200 range depending. if you do go through the yards pull the cover and take a peek inside.

to bad you arent closer i have a 435 sitting in my garage but shipping would be the killer.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
JD-
Go get another couple of gears. I had some problems when I rebuilt my t19 (cracked case) and wasn't having any luck at the local junkyards. About 35 minutes after posting to craigslist some dude north of me replied!
They are such robust transmissions that somebody near you has one collecting dust, just find it!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T-19's are worth repairing, but the parts can be expensive. I seem to recal being quoted about $300 for a single gear. As was stated, it may be cheaper to find another junkyard unit, and if needed combine parts from both to make one good one.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you decide to get another i would be interested in the first gear set if it is the 6.32/1. i have a 4.1/1 set but would like a lower set for my jeep.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jd-
i have "the warden"s t-18/19 sitting on the ground right now. it's a 4wd unit.
got no problems gutting these since they aren't in high demand to be installed. I couldn't tell you which model it is, when I rebuild them they get a bearing and seal kit and if the gears are bad, better ones are matched to the broken ones.
I'm not working today, so I can hear my phone unlike last night.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
I've found some T18/19s locally. They are probably from behind gasoline motors. I can probably get a T19 from an E150 or an NP 435 out of an F100. Recall that I'm going to be making a bracket to run a mechanical clutch with. I can get a trans I have to pull for $90 with the ability to return it if its bad or $75 as is no warranty. There are at least 2 in the area that are already pulled and ready to go and should have some warranty in the $250-275 range. I'd be glad to accept the gears Calvin but I may just need to grab a tranny because of the time/distance factor. I'm definitely willing to consider parting out the T19 I have if anyone wants anything from it. I'll also have a decent(working when pulled but unknown internal condition 2wd C6 available with everything from the cooling lines to the steering column and all ready to go early next week if anyone wants. If I find a 4WD T19 is it at all different from the 2wd version? Calvin I may call you, I don't know if you're working tonight but I may call you, if you can't answer no hard feelings. I always appreciate all your advice and help!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what I know of a Bronco that has a Mech clutch linkage that was parked on a Res near by. I already got my roof rack of it so I may just be able to get that whole pedal assembly ifn you need it.

I may be interested in some parts from a Gasser T19 as I want the Granny gear model for my Bronco for off roading.....not the closer ratio model of the diesel trucks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I grabbed a T18 from an 88 F150. It looks good. I know the gear ratios are different but it should work well, and there's always the gear splitter if the gears are too wide apart. Hopefully this is the end of this sad saga. I'll have to post a list of what's available after the project is done. I may keep the T19 and rebuild it and sell or save as a spare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online

No members online now.