Swapping to IDI turbo from non turbo

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy assures me it is a IDIT. But just to be sure would anyone else have insight into a easy tell of the diff between the IDIT and powerstroke?

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Take a pic of an IDI with you. It should be very easy to tell in person. look at the top of engine (injection pump and intake area. It should be easy to tell. On the driver side valve cover it should actually tell what it is if the decal is still in place. If you still think you may be unsure, if you have a phone that takes good pics, I could PM you my phone number and you could send me a pic when you get there and I will help you ID what it is:dunno. Or if you have time while your there, you can just post pics on here and somebody will help you;Sweet

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Sealboy, If you want, PM me your cell phone number. I have pics on my cell phone of an IDI turbo from the tow truck at work. I can send you those pics if you want.

John

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which would be easier or smarter, keeping the serpentine system on this IDIT and converting my existing engine harness, or swapping all my v pulley accessories from my old engine to the new thereby keeping my harness intact?
The seller doesn't want to vice me the harness. He's gonna modify it to be used on his cummins swap.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy assures me it is a IDIT. But just to be sure would anyone else have insight into a easy tell of the diff between the IDIT and powerstroke?

As I said....IF THIS engine your going to look at has an IP just like yours...it's and IDI if it doesn't....it ISNT!

If it was me, and my rig,I"d swap the turbo engine complete with the Serp belt setup. modify your harness to work with it!

#1 you get a 3G alternator with internal regulation and much higher output at low RPM than stock.
#2 you ONLY have to carry 1 SPARE belt.
#3 You only need a single socket and ratchet to change said belt....imagine side of busy highway...cold wet rainy/snowy night your ps alt or one of the vbelts blows off...you gotta fool with loosening off adjusments of up to two other devices...be it ALT or ALT and PS....different sockets...different tools...

ONE TOOL ONE BELT! So long as your Idler and adjuster are in good condition your golden...replace those and the belt upon install throw old ones in behind seat for spares. YOU ARE SET!

But this is just my rational....it does not have to be yours....

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like the simplisity of the serpentine belt system. One belt and one tool. Can't be easier than that like said above. I carry spares behind the rear seat in my rig. I have three belts. One idler and one tensioner. Plus I have another vacuum pump pulley just in case that pulley bends. Thats usually the reasons behind the belts failing. Watch the tensioner. If its bouncing then usually the vacuum pump pulley has bent on the shaft. I also carry a tool to remove and install the pulley. It also works on the power steering pump pulley too. The three belts I carry are differant lengths too. Never know when you may nneed an alternater and it may have a differant size pulley on it. Thats usually where the differant pulleys are made up and the need for diffeant size belts... I got that piece of useful information from Towcat many years ago... Seems the correct length belt is no longer made for our trucks... Ebay has a listing for a van belt with the tensioner, guide bracket and pulley for $55.00... Not bad for all that... BTW the guide for the belts are no longer made... I guess they are made out of nonobtainium metal..:angel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online