Swappin' a bed

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
How heavy is a SRW long bed on these trucks? I'm still looking for a good one to swap in, but is it do-able with 4-6 burly guys or will I need a hoist of some kind?
For bonus points I may try to swap my liftgate over, too, but that thing is a serious boat anchor...when I lost the cables on it it took 3 people just to get the moving section back up.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 guys fairly easy. 4 waaaay easy. take off the tailgate.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
take off the tailgate.

No problem!

You must be registered for see images attach

Bad pic but shows the general state of the bed floor and current tailgate mounting LOL
The worst part is under the 1/4" plate, completely gone.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that much rust I'd just cut/grind your bolts off from the top side. Maybe that was your plan, but mine were dang near impossible to get off even with an impact, and I have an almost rust free truck.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
We took ours off the F250, just me and my dad.

Actaully not thta heavy at all, just awkward to carry.

I grinded the heads off all 6 bolts, didn't even try to get the nut off from underneath!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
x3 on grinding the bolt heads off.......I actually weld mine to the bed floor though. I lifted my bed with one person, one landscape timber, one tree and one come-along.

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2-3 guys seems to be key. The hardest part I had was getting it adjusted for the bolts.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
jr , I can't believe you just posted that picture OMG they are gonna think we are a bunch of dumb rednecks around here........................... OH wait WE ARE:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
jr , I can't believe you just posted that picture OMG they are gonna think we are a bunch of dumb rednecks around here........................... OH wait WE ARE:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

I salute you!
There is nothing wrong with being good at using whatever's around you to accomplish your goals. The best mechanics I've known were of the shadetree variety, and sometimes the shadetree is a tool itself! ;Sweet

Been looking around, no bed to be found. I did find a better tailgate and a bedliner, though. I may wuss out for now and cover it up :(
Hopefully it will buy me some time.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took us 4 guys to lift a 6ft bed with roll bar up on top of a m101 a1 trailer
but only 2 to put it on the truck it went with
since you cant find a good bed it sounds like youre a canidate for a patch pannel and a wire wheel

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If it counts at all, I stood a bed up on end by myself off a 92 long box. They ain't that heavy, but the size of them makes it easier with 2 or 3 guys. Make sure you disconnect EVERYTHING or you might have an unpleasant surprise halfway through the lift lol.

Ask me how I know!!!