SVO blending question

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy found a source for SVO (corn/soy blend) for $12 a 16 liter (4-1/4 gallon) cubie - that works out to about $2.80 a gallon.

I'm thinking of buying some and blending it with diesel over this summer. I figure one cubie per 20 gallon tank - basically 20% SVO and 80% diesel. With summertime temps, anybody think there would be any problems with this mix?

Any danger of doing long term damage to my 300cd (617 turbo) running 20% SVO?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the temperature. If the temp drops to the gel point of the wvo, you will have solid grease in your IP and it won't work. That being said,
summertime is the least risky to do this. Put some in the refridgerator with a thermometer and watch to see the temperature at which it solidifies.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the temperature. If the temp drops to the gel point of the wvo, you will have solid grease in your IP and it won't work. That being said,
summertime is the least risky to do this. Put some in the refridgerator with a thermometer and watch to see the temperature at which it solidifies.

Already one step ahead of you man.

I mixed up 6 quart mason jars, two at 20%, two at 40%, and two at 60%.
Then I added 1.5 CCs of DieselKleen (1:400 ratio) to one of each blend (20%, 40%, & 60%)

I put them on the back porch overnight for a couple of nights and checked it both mornings - no clouding, thickening or separating with overnight lows down to around 55*F

I just put them in the fridge to see what happens over the next couple of days.