Surburban

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have scouted ebay and have been for a while I have not seen a burb with a dmax - did they ever make one? I'm in the market for something with a little more creature room than a pickup has to offer and I know that Dodge doesn't make one and I have not owned a dmax yet so I wanted to try one on for size....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
goatboy-
there's no factory offering for the dmax in the burb. they "claim" fitment issues. rumour has it that there is a guy doing those conversions into burbs and its a pretty good finished product. don't have a linky for it though. check out the other chebby diesel site, but be warned, they don't play well with others.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
but be warned, they don't play well with others.

Truer words were never spoken!

On the origional topic there is a guy that does the Dmax conversion into 3/4 ton suburbans and sells them on ebay. I'd imagine that the swap into the 3/4 ton would be fairly easy, the 1/2 would probably be ok if the new van setup (Dmax+4l85e) was used. I wouldn't want to do it though since these things are expensive to work on. Maybe an aftermarket warrenty could be obtained?

pafixitman

Reaction score
On topic - Argve, no, never made at the factory.

Off topic - The GM sites made me replace a Chevy Venture (granted not a hi-po vehicle) with an Explorer. I asked about a TC/ABS issue and a guy in NJ told me that is why dealerships have service departments. He "suggested" I take the vehicle in and have it repaired "correctly". I said it in the 80's and I will say it again...No more GM for me.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
well that pretty much sucks... I'm not sure if I want a breed apart type of thing. Don't take it the wrong way folks but I don't want something at this point in my life that wasn't designed to be there and I can't walk into any autoparts store and pick up parts for... I've had vehicles like that in the past and it just complicates things - not to the point of where you can't work past it but it's just easier if it was put out by the factory that way...

Humm... now I'm starting to look at gas powered rigs but I don't think that will actually see the light of day because I love the power and econ a diesel brings to the table...

Oh and don't mention a X because I don't think they will fit in my 21.5 foot space in the garage.... heck my current ride only clears by about 3 inches and I gotta have something that will fit in the garage = I'm a whimp and refuse to scrape winders anymore...

pafixitman

Reaction score
The maxi was not offered. You could get a used up 6.2/6.5 old body style or just wait. Rumor is the Grand Cherokee will get a diesel and potentially other makes / models once the '07 emission deal gets sorted out.

Since the Explorer is so small, I have thought of a 5.7 burb or my preffered choice of a 5.4 Expedition.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. A few more trucks and you'll be back in an IDI. :D

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i thunk it was the allison trans that didnt fit under the sub. i agree about the gm sites. travis those old 80's burbs are cool but i know you need more power than the detroits offered. why not get you an Excursion.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
size is what kills the excursion for me - I think it would be too long to fit in the garage - man those puppies are huge. If I remember right they were as long as The E and it could not fit in the garage lenght wise.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Nope... no room. plus I like walking from the house to the truck and not having to put a coat on. my garage isn't heated but it has to be pretty much below zero before water will freeze on the outar wall of garage.

I'm at a point in my life that I want/demand to park indoors. I hate to even leave my truck out during the summer - it's so nice to have it closed up and under the cover...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88