Supply fuel pressure 6.9 idi

645E3B

Reaction score
Would like to install an electric fuel pump on a 1987 6.9 idi but I am not sure of the supply fuel pressure to the injection pump

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start reading the e pump threads.
Yes you can buy a facett and have issue's.
No there is no magic unicorn!
There is at least 5 threads.
Fwiw the ip is usually calibrated at 5#

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Start reading the e pump threads.
Yes you can buy a facett and have issue's.
No there is no magic unicorn!
There is at least 5 threads.
Fwiw the ip is usually calibrated at 5#
X2. I would suggest an in line bypass regulater. My truck likes 5 lbs as well. I just use a 105p and left the adjustment on the e pump wide open and rely on the bypass regulater.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
X2. I would suggest an in line bypass regulater. My truck likes 5 lbs as well. I just use a 105p and left the adjustment on the e pump wide open and rely on the bypass regulater.

The Mr Gasket 105p is a good pump choice (around $100-130 online) because it's 105GPH and comes with an adjustable regulator with a return line output. I will be installing one soon on my RV (see sig). I'm just waiting on a 3/8" NPT to 5/16" hose barb elbow I ordered online for the return output from the regulator, and for a clear day after it comes to do the installation.

The only potential problem is it calls for 3/8" return line (equal to supply) while IDIs are 5/16". Reading online, someone with a gasser/carb F-series had a problem with a Holley regulator on a 1/4 return line. They couldn't get the pressure below 15PSI. Then they put 3/8" for most of the run, then converted it to 5/16" at the tank and it worked ok. Not sure why they had 1/4" at all, to be honest. Maybe 5/16" on an IDI the whole return path will be fine. I guess I'll find out. I will hook my test gauge directly to the regulator to adjust the pressure down to around 6-7PSI first (it's preset to something like 12PSI), then hook it up to the fuel system and hook my test gauge to the filter head in place of the bleeder valve and see what it shows there. The port looks to be 1/8" NPT and my HFT test gauge has a fitting for that.

It appears that Holley makes them, due to the identical design to the Red & Blue pumps, and the fact that they sell it on their official site.
https://www.holley.com/products/fue...mps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/105P

If you prefer something with the Holley name on it, the Blue pump (about $160) comes with an adjustable regulator too.
https://www.holley.com/products/fue...carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/12-802-1

I would imagine that Red/Blue pump repair parts will fit the 105p as well.

Holley Red & Blue:
You must be registered for see images attach

Mr Gasket 105p. The body is slightly different and it's steel instead of aluminum, but aside from that, it looks the same.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: