Superduty intercooler question

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, talk to me about this separator. I am worried about oil over a long period of time building up.

You are saying to put a separator in the cdr line. The banks sidewinder uses a long section of hose between the front of the engine and the actual cdr. Seems like a good place to put a separator. Any hints how to build one, or links about where to buy one?

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running this IC, it works fine and is a easy install. Search and you'll find plenty of pictures.

Last edited:

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea for you: turn the CDR back the way it was supposed to go, instead of how Banks mounts it upside-down. I know that oil sits in mine too since it has nowhere to drain but into the intake. If you reroute/splice the hose, and turn it around 180 degrees, the oil condensate will drip back into the crankcase. I cleaned mine out, and no oil on the valve cover for a few weeks. Then it started dripping again, so I know it built up, it wouldn't deposit oil in the intake if it could drain through the hose methinks. I'm going to be trying this sometimes.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use mineral spirits to desolve oil. Pretty cheap, available at any paint department since it's use as paint thinner for oil based paints, and it doesn't leave much residue.

Cap one end with a plumbing rubber cap, put a gallon of mineral spirits in the other inlet, cap it.. and slosh the IC for a few minutes, let it set for a bit, the slosh it again... repeat as necessary till it looks like you got the oil disolved, pour off the mineral spirits, set the IC on one end to let anything drain to that end, pour off anything left over.. should be good.

What ever little residue left will travel to intake and flash off in combustion chamber, or evaporate in couple days, if you leave the IC open.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys mounting these around the skinny 31in radiator? I can't see getting anything to mount around my wide one. Basically runs headlight to headlight.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel got an ebay intercooler from a place about 12 miles from my home and installed it on the original Moose Truck. He felt for the price and fit on his wide radiater was fine. He had some great pics of the work done too. Not sure if the pics survived the photo shop purge of all pics a year or so ago..

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.0 intercooler fits around the wide radiator by about a half inch after trimming on both the support and the radiator itself where the mounts are.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel got an ebay intercooler from a place about 12 miles from my home and installed it on the original Moose Truck. He felt for the price and fit on his wide radiater was fine. He had some great pics of the work done too. Not sure if the pics survived the photo shop purge of all pics a year or so ago..

there's a bunch of us running 'em now.;Sweet

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 64

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The yard I got this intercooler from put out 3 more of these trucks today. I bought all of the intercooler pipes for all 3 trucks hoping I can make something fit mine. There are 3 more of these intercooler out there right now if anyone wants one. Shipping would be killer, but I don't mind to go pull one if you don't mind to pay it.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. All 3 are 7.3 sad trucks. 99 and 2000 models. Aluminum inter coolers. They are about 85 dollars after tax.