Super duty springs in the rear?

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Building a new truck to be a toy, starting out with an 89 f250, swapping in a kingpin D60, and planning on lifting the truck. In my search for lift kits I found that there are more options for the 99-04 trucks, and inwas already thinking of putting the front shakle reversal in, so that makes putting superduty springs up front easy, but what about the rear springs? What does it take to put those in? Or is it even worth it to try to use 99-04 lifts? Would a 99-04 8" lift still be an 8" lift on an 89?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I thought I heard the newer rear springs bolt right in.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really! Cool, I was under the impression the SD springs were longer. More potential parts to keep the old beast going LOL.

fyrfghter

Reaction score
Sky manufacturing came out with a new kit to swap I think 05-16 springs in which I believe are about 8 inches longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly suggest you ditch leafsprings on the rear.
my toy is running 6" lift springs in all corners, and even with a traction bar, I cannot eliminate the axle wrap. ive even clocked the diff.
im going triangulated 4 link.

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Sky manufacturing came out with a new kit to swap I think 05-16 springs in which I believe are about 8 inches longer

You don't need a kit if you have the skills to relocate the stock hangers. Mount them lower and use a flatter leaf for better ride.

I run a 60x3" leaf on my truck now, with the hangers moved/dropped 4" and shackle flipped.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Itll just be leaf springs, its going to be a mud toy not a crawler or anything so leaf springs will be fine

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put '99 and up Superduty B code rear leafs in my '96 OBS F250. I used the factory 4" blocks from a F350. One or both of the holes get drilled slightly bigger and ATS provides the larger diameter front bolt. The old front bolt gets moved to the rear. I gained the 2" of height due to my factor lift block being 2", but gained little lift from the new leaf...but the ride was much softer.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think “bolt in” is being loosely used in this thread, the front hanger needs to be drilled out, the rear shackle needs some cutting to clear the spring properly and for full travel and the lengths are different.

I do recommend instead of grinding the shackle out to just replace the hanger and shackle with the sd one, way beefier and no modifications required(besides drilling 3 new holes in the frame).

Here’s some measurements of springs

Year. Front to center bolt. Center to rear.
80-97. 25”. 31”
99-07. 25”. 33-1/4”
08-16. 33-3/16”. 33-3/16”

If your wanting a better ride, move the front hanger forward 8” and run the super duty rear hanger and shackle and an 08+ leaf spring and you’ll save the discs in your back and your kidneys.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modifications to make it work shouldnt be a problem, ride quality isnt going to matter much when im burying it in a mudhole lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online