summer/pre rally upgrades....

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Love the sheer bad-ass-ery going on here. Just because it can't be bought doesn't mean it can't be had, nice job!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got some more stuff done,

-rear brakes are together and e brake cables are all assembled.
-the front wheels and tires are in, I just painted the rims today.
-the passenger side I beam is painted and installed.
-radius arms and brackets are painted and installed.
-the last I beam is tacked together.

You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here are the last two pictures

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Looking great, slightly jealous of the nice shop you got there.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. All I can say is your balls are huge. Never would I ever think of cutting and re welding the I beams. And I'm a good welder fabricator.

Not that I'm trying to be a ***** or to scare you but when I was young I was told something that always stuck with me through my mechanical career.
"Driveline will leave you stranded, suspension could kill you". An Old farmer said that to me and it's never went out of my mind when working on someone else's or my own vehicles.

I hope it works well for you because if it doesn't you'll be the first to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. All I can say is your balls are huge. Never would I ever think of cutting and re welding the I beams. And I'm a good welder fabricator.

Not that I'm trying to be a ***** or to scare you but when I was young I was told something that always stuck with me through my mechanical career.
"Driveline will leave you stranded, suspension could kill you". An Old farmer said that to me and it's never went out of my mind when working on someone else's or my own vehicles.

I hope it works well for you because if it doesn't you'll be the first to know.

I have been thinking the same thing while making the I beams. its a crap shoot weather they work or not and I just hope if they do malfunction it happens before im out on the road.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing while making the I beams. its a crap shoot weather they work or not and I just hope if they do malfunction it happens before im out on the road.

Well not likely goin to malfunction on the bench now are they...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about dropping the pivot brackets from the cross member or making new ones that drop 2" with spacers on the coils instead? If you make them out of say, 3/8 steel and add a brace somewhere like the lift kit drop brackets I sure do think that'd be safer for you.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, but the thought of all that weight and road abuse getting out directly on welded cast steel makes me cringe.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes cast steel welded is normally fine. Cast iron is all kind of tricky, but doable. Cast steel which will be carrying large amounts of weigh at highway speeds and feeling every bump in the road doesn't sound like a great way to go about getting his end goal

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Many people weld to center sections of axles for four link mounts and never have an issue. Again just needs to be don't properly, preheated, welded, peen the weld and very slowly cooled.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about dropping the pivot brackets from the cross member or making new ones that drop 2" with spacers on the coils instead? If you make them out of say, 3/8 steel and add a brace somewhere like the lift kit drop brackets I sure do think that'd be safer for you.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, but the thought of all that weight and road abuse getting out directly on welded cast steel makes me cringe.

its a little late for that now. I thought about doing something along that line but I like to be different. the tricky part is trying to get the welds not to crack. the first one was a test, kinda, and the last one went much better. I am using a silicon-bronze welding rod which allows the cast and steel to bond together. I did a proses similar to what Corey said but the cast expands and contracts more then the steel and that is how the welds can crack. my shop is next to a dirt road so its a good way to test them out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online