Sudden smoker

buddaniels

Reaction score
Hi to all. Have been following this site for years. Thanks for all the help. I have a 1993 7.3 in a 1990 f450. Its been a struggle. Had it running perfect. Sat one day and when i went to srart it was angry. Lots of white smoke and has at least 1 miss. So i put in new injectors and caps and return lines pulled the tank and cleaned 2 new filters and did the seafoam in filter thing. What could cause it to run perfect one day and then turn bad. Its my 3rd idi and i always have had to work on them but always with good results. Thanks for any help

buddaniels

Reaction score
Also the engine has around 135000 on it and the ip has a rebuild sticker on it.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White smoke and a miss could have been a horrible leaky injector.

If you replaced them and it cured the problem, obviously it was an injector.

Who knows, it coulda got a spec of carbon on the pintle seat. If you know which injector was the bad one I'd gladly pop test and tear it down to ID source of failure

buddaniels

Reaction score
It was smokin with the old injectors and with the new. Thats why i am so confused. Gonna put in an electric lift pump in and see if it helps. Just dont know how one day it runs perfect and after sitting aday with no changes it runs horrible and smokes alot. Think the truck is cursed.lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check those seals on the hard lines from LP to filter and filter to IP, they won't leak fuel sometimes but will suck in air.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely cause is a loss of compression in one cylinder. A chunk of carbon under a valve seat, or a broken spring. The later you would probably hear. Loosen one injection line at a time in turn, until you find one that doesn't make a difference (the smoke may go away), and then you will know what cylinder to look at.

buddaniels

Reaction score
Really hope its not low compression. Thats why i pulled the original.

buddaniels

Reaction score
Okay. Put in an electric fuel pump and chased down some air leaks. Smokes much less then before,has plenty of power. But still smokes to much.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel or coolant smoke?
I see you are leaning towards fuel, could be ip.not all rebuild stickers are equal!
Drinking eng. oil?
Timing ( longshot) ?
Who's " new injectors"?

buddaniels

Reaction score
Its definitely fuel. No oil consumption. And the injectors were the cheapest i could find. Lol . But there was no change when i replaced them. Was going to bump the timing. If that doesnt work i am going to put a spare ip on. Thing just bafflels me.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Willing to bet its your cheap injectors then. My remans, fresh from pensacola diesel. ran liek Poo poo.i mean, terribel starting, engine was shaking, woudl smoke out my driveway just sitting there. Put a set in from a quality source, boom fires off instant, no smoke, smooth.,

Last edited by a moderator:

buddaniels

Reaction score
Got it running. I put in an i.p. from badger diesel. No smoke no miss or stutter. Runs great. Hope my struggles can help others. Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online