Stupid Question - Oil Pressure sending unit

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After relocating my gp controller/relay and the associated harness, I found I had an engine light on and no reading on the oil pressure gauge. Found that the wire from the sending unit had at some point in the past gotten pinched between the block and the bell housing and when I pulled on the harness the already fragile wire broke. So, thinking to myself "well self, that's no problem, you can just fix the wire with an added length of wire since you moved the harness" so listening to myself, I did just that. Of course, looking around my disaster area of a garage, I couldn't find any wire of the exact same gauge, so I used one size smaller. Of course I still have an engine light and no reading on the gauge. Could the size smaller wire really be the problem ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Probably not.
You need a real gauge anyways.
The factory one is a glorified idiot light. It doesn't read pressure. Once it hits 7 psi it moves the gauge and that's it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was working until I broke the wire. I guess I could put a real gauge in the pod on my dash and get rid of the non functioning air filter restriction gauge

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad truth is our dash gauges really never tell us what is going on. Just ask yourself how warm is my coolant when it reaches the "R" in the word NORMAL. At best our dash gauges are a feel good gauge. Best to get some after market gauges like the 270 degree sweep isspro ev gauges. They are made in electric or mechanical. I ran a mechanical oil pressure on my dash for many years. I now run only electrical gauges in the cab.

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wish there was a way to do gauges in the dash without cutting it all to bits or having gauge pods all over the place. I saw someone's mod for in dash gauges but that's a bit beyond where I'm comfortable going.

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that can tell me what the set up is on the AST 088 turbo as far as the fittings that are there. I prob need to post a few photos and see if anyone can ID them.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

here is my gauge set up. I still don't have a oil pressure gauge yet.

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is what was here when I got it. The pyrometer is non functioning, the boost works, the trans temp appears to work, the filter minder is??.
I could fit a oil pressure in and perhaps one more. It's kind of ugly, but it's a farm truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is what was here when I got it. The pyrometer is non functioning, the boost works, the trans temp appears to work, the filter minder is??.
I could fit a oil pressure in and perhaps one more. It's kind of ugly, but it's a farm truck.

Ugly??

Form follows function and in my eyes its awesome..

Cant get those any more sadly

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should paint it blue to match the dash and get all my gauges to match brands

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still unable to get the oil pressure gauge to register or get the engine light to go out. It all worked before I moved the harness. It's making me a little nervous.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Isspro and auto meters are great gauges I'd mix them.
Oh and a CD player in a farm truck. ;Really