Stupid Clutch Pedal Assembly

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
So the clutch started squeaking inside the cab. I figured a little lubrication was needed, I crawled down there and the bushing is shot AGAIN. This time it had slipped loose of the clutch pedal pivot pin, and wore the pin all outta whack.

What the heck do I do now?? The pivot pin is pretty much shot.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very common unfortunately. I've pulled the assembly and built the pin back up by filling the defect with weld.

Heath

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about that. Imna run down to the Ford garage and see what options they have. The fulcrum that the pivot pin is attached to, bolts to the clutch assembly. Maybe I can purchace the fulcrum? If not, I'll have to rebuild it.

Thanks Heath

Looks like the steering shaft has to come out to get the clutch assmbly to drop down?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
When I did the heim joint mod I drilled down the back side of the pin to remove the splayed out metal, then knocked the pin out to make room for the 3/8" bolt that attaches the heim joint to the lever arm. I had the same problem you speak of in that the pin was obliterated as well as the eye of the pushrod. This damaged part shaved $400 off the price I paid at the dealer for the truck, the dealer said "clutch just needs a little adjustment" so I showed him the worn eye and pin and explained it would be "at least $300 for a replacement set from the dealer" and he promptly dropped the asking price on the truck.

In reality I bought the heim joint for $6 from Amazon.com and got free shipping because my wife is a "super shipper"

http://www.amazon.com/Aurora-CW-6-Economy-Right-Female/dp/B003JQLNEO

Took me a couple hours in the driveway to cut and massage the pushrod and lever arm into place and it now works great! Best mod i've done so far I think!

;Sweet

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did that to my clutch master cylinder, only thing is you wont have a nss.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've got the metal master cyl pushrod.

I went to Ford and ordered part #E7TZ-7A554-A Lever-Control $19.58

When I install the lever, Imna rig up a better way to retain the bushing/push rod. I think that's where My problem started. The master cyl pushrod slipped out, wearing the bushing out, then the pin on the lever.

I'll be keeping the worn control arm. If this happens again, I'll use it to do the Hiem Joint mod.

The heck of it is, that bushing is what I'd now consider a wear item. I bought 3 of them, and will keep a much closer eye on it.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just change that bushing every week and you should be good!:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how to get the pedal assembly out? Looks like the steering shaft has to come out?

Pull or drop the column out of the way. Brake booster is bolted to it and there is a bolt or two holding it to the dash frame. It's not a fun job, but it could be worse. I just hope no one has threaded any wiring through the pedal assembly.:eek:

ON EDIT: Here's one on my '86 crew cab.
You must be registered for see images

Heath

Last edited:

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dont pull anything out, just lay on your back and do it.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
For the record...it makes it much easier to have a low table or something that comes up almost even with the floor of the cab...much less strain on you that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online