Stumped,No start and click.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my truck has been starting flawlessly for year's, out of no where I turn the key and nothing. All I get is a single click clunking kinda noise. I put in a new starter and starter solenoid went over the wiring and checked all my fuses in cab and engine bay. I'm stumped! Any suggestions?

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some new info.
The fuse from my solenoid to my push button starter keeps blowing. It's a 20amp fuse, like I said all the wiring looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_20210910_132029906.jpg
    IMG_20210910_132029906.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 9

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is very possible that the cables are corroded and not supplying enough current to spin the starter. Do you have a digital multi meter. If so you can check for voltage at the starter vs voltage at the battery terminals and get an idea of what’s going on.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you fixed the fuse blowing issue?

The key to figuring out the large cables is to have two people and a meter or testlight. Poking around with a meter or testlight on the large cables with one person is useless, you will get 12v everytime. You need to check the voltage WHILE TRYING TO START THE TRUCK. Pick an easy spot to check, say the solenoid on the fender. Put your voltage tester on the large lug and ground, you will get 12v. Keep watching it while someone inside tries to start the engine. If your voltage suddenly goes away or drops very low, then you know the problem is upstream toward the batteries or their connections. If it stays pretty much the same, then the problem is downstream toward the starter. You can move your tester around to see where you lose the voltage when the truck is trying to start. But it takes two people, one pushing the button while you are checking.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If any of your battery cables have one of those aftermarket terminals that clamp on with 2 bolts I would bet there is an issue with corrosion or oxidation.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new cables on the way, my positive terminal on passenger side is really bad. I'm thinking that's my issue we will see when They show up.