Studs and Gaskets

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
OK,Going into Uncharted waters(atleast for me) pretty soon(Next week I hope).With me putting the the banks over on whitehorses 6.9 I figure I better beaf it up a bit.Will Felpro 7.3L head gaskets work on a 6.9 or should I buy the $109 head set for a 6.9 at Advance Auto?Also,is Ken the best place to get 6.9 studs or is there a cheaper place(Ken is $330).Even though I only am gonna use this engine for a short period of time I don't want to have to tear into it before I get the other engine done due to blowing a head gasket.And as you know,I ain't gonna go easy on this engine.....To be exact,we might be getting a 38 foot enclosed trailer I will need to haul to the race track(15 miles if Green Valley survives,around 60-70 over some ugly mountians if it doesn't...).

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, I paid about $270 (including shipping and sales tax) for my ARP studs...I think the kit was $230 retail. However, I don't think the ARP studs are as strong as Ken's...but Ken wasn't selling 6.9l studs until after I got my kit, if memory serves. :(

I think the 7.3l gaskets are different, but I've never compared the two, so I can't say for sure. I would imagine the holes for the bolts would be bigger on a 7.3l, as well as the holes for the cylinders themselves...

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
You can get the ARP studs through Summit also. I've ordered several things from them lately and it only takes about 3 days to get it to me.

Tom

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Thanks.I think I will go cheap and buy the ARP studs for the 6.9.Don't think I will need the extra strength.Not building a ground pounder.Just a extra strong toy hauler for now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember hearing of anybody actually using 7.3 gaskets on a 6.9. I've heard of people putting gaskets in upside down, but not swapping them. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, since your trying to be "cheap".

Freight_Train

Reaction score
I was wondering since I know 7.3 gaskets are now all Turbo spec.Guess I will go with teh Ken studs at $330(ARP is $260 at 190K strength Ken is 220K) and the Felpro gasket set at $109.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
I was wondering since I know 7.3 gaskets are now all Turbo spec.Guess I will go with teh Ken studs at $330(ARP is $260 at 190K strength Ken is 220K) and the Felpro gasket set at $109.

You lost Me, Ken's head stud kit sales for $675, unless you are doing only one head :confused: .

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
TLBREWER said:
You can get the ARP studs through Summit also. I've ordered several things from them lately and it only takes about 3 days to get it to me.

Tom

They are $255 at Summit today for 6.9.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ken's stud kit is the strongest... Period. The ARP 6.9 studs are 190,000 psi and Ken's are plainly better if we are talking 6.9 only. ARP can make a set for the 7.3 but.... It will set you back about $1200.00 and be around 4 to 6 weeks wait because they need to shut down the line and start your one off set.... And it will only be 190,000 psi. Now lets look at it. For the 7.3 we will be paying more (about twice as much) and getting less. I guess its the American way these days. Ken has the market and the wherewithall to get things. I trust that but still ask plenty-o-questions. On the 7.3 to 6.9 head gaskets I think there are some coolant passages that wont line up but you could try and post your findings. I paid $25.00 for a powerstroke exhaust manifold in hopes that I could modify it to my IDI and run the psd turbo but detune it just a bit. It wont fit but one port and the other 3 get farther and farther off as you get to the end. It just will not fit. It would be easier to hog one out of wood but that wont last too very long either.... LOL

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Well,I ordered my studs and gasket set tonight.Went cheap(sorry Ken) and got the ARPs from Summit.Figured I don't need the extra strength since I won't be beating on this engine too much.8-12PSI under extreme conditions.Hopefully some time this week or early next week both the E and whatever Whitehorse offically named his ex truck(Mine now!Anyone need some parts?) will be at the shop at the same time.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
oh yea,I also bought another 7.3L engine tonight.1994 non turbo,died of Cavitation but has everything but the block pump on it.Couldn't pass up the price on Ebay.$200 and only 120 miles away on the east side of Hotlanta.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey... Freight if you don't get the ball rolling quick on getting the truck going you will set on the sidelines at the rally. :rotflmao :D Tim