stuck with blinking OD light

Saev

Reaction score
94 turbo dually
e4od

extremely hard, jarring up and downshifts.

speedo works. tach works. all lights in/out work. i have tried disconnecting batteries but od light will start blinking right when i start it up again.

i know absolutely nothing in regards to the locations of sensors or fuses

my only available tool is a mid size crescent wrench.

any options besides a tow?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn it off? Do you still have the button on the stalk in that year truck? If so, that'll get you home without damaging anything. You just won't have overdrive.

Saev

Reaction score
OD button does not function.

Wes - I don't know where those connections are at. I have very limited experience working on [any] vehicles beyond the occasional oil change.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries, since you have limited experience and tooling, I would just check to see if you have any blown fuses. Otherwise you can manually shift the trans and slowly, carefully get home. You won’t have torque converter lockup or any automatic shifting, but you can still drive.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
OD button does not function.

Wes - I don't know where those connections are at. I have very limited experience working on [any] vehicles beyond the occasional oil change.

On a Pontiac Vibe (rebadged Toyota Matrix), I took it in for the Takata airbag recall and a Chevy dealer worker ripped the OD button off and stuffed it back together with the bare wires loose inside. There's no way they couldn't have known. It would turn OD on/off while driving down the highway as they bounced/vibrated together and apart. I bought a used switch and spliced it in, as the original button switch was ruined from the wires being ripped out of it. Problem solved. The replacement button worked fine. I didn't trust them to touch my car any further.

So yeah, you might need to hunt down where the wires are. Maybe they are bouncing against each other.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with the od light or the shifter, the blinking light means the tcm is in limp mode. If you can get a test light or even just a paper clip you can pull the codes via the EEC connector by the master cylinder on the fender.

Saev

Reaction score
Small update - It was the FIPL. Damn thing was missing a mounting screw and it went all out of whack.

Thanks for the advice on where to look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7