Stuck in 4 low.

pointeca

Reaction score
I have a 94 turbo diesel, automatic tranny. The other day I was playing in the snow in 4 low, and when I went to put it back in 2 wheel drive, I broke the transfer case shifter. Now I need to get it out of 4 low, so I can drive it. The shifter broke right where it pivots on a bracket bolted to the tranny I think.
Can I just pull or push on the rod hooked to the shifter, so I can at least get it to a buddies garage? Bare with me guys, I pretty green at mechanics, and I'm just trying to limp it to a buddies for repairs.
Thanks.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think you can get it into a gear from under the truck. Look at where the linkage goes into the Tcase, it should just be a push-pull type link there. I think you'll need to pull it back.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you are still in 4 low you will see a tab that will keep you will need to push above and then it should go into 4 high and then 2high. The slide mechanism on these freezes making it impossible to get it into or our of 4 low even if you do have the shifter. Mine only goes in 4-low when I shift from underneath:mad:

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to mine today!! I was backing up the trailer and went to put it in 4 low and the shifter knob came off in my hand. I ended up getting mine out of low by parking the truck on a level surface and blocking the wheels, unlocked the front hubs, and put the truck in neutral. I then pulled the front linkage off the shifter, then pushed linkage towards the back of the truck and it poped into 2 hi really easy. I think what happened was the bolt that the bracket pivots on rusted/corroded to the bracket. Here is a picture of where it broke.

Attachments

• MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 11

pointeca

Reaction score
Yup, that's exactly where mine broke. Thanks for the ideas, I'll go out and give them a shot. Thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arg! I had submitted a tech article on this very subject written by one of our members here, and I thought it was being processed, but it looks like it may have been lost in the management change a while back. Now I can't find it. If whoever wrote it could send it again, I'll get it put where it belongs.

pointeca

Reaction score
Ok, went out and got it into 2wd, thanks alot for your ideas.