Stubborn Oil Leak

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tore into the turbo and it was a piece of cake, nothing to it. What I found was someone had opened the turbo and I guess replace the seals and bearings as they looked new. I replaced them anyways with the new ones I got along with the new oil seals and new bearings. When I started to reassemble it I had a square shaped O ring, I had not taken one out, soooooooooooo I started looking and sure enough I found where it went. Someone had left it out when they had it opened and that was the source of the leak as it went between the center part of the turbo and the plate that bolted to it for the compressor side.
I replaced everything that was in the kit and cleaned everything with choke cleaner. Then I reinstalled it and made sure it had oil by turning over the motor by the starter with the wire disconnected for the fuel shut off.

Cranked it over until I had oil pressure at the turbo, thats where I have my pressure gauge hooked up, oil supply line to turbo, then put the wire back on and fired the motor. Low and behold OIL LEAK AGAIN, WHAT THE F%&#K!!!!!!!!!!. Shut truck off and started to pull the turbo once again, the first bolt I put a wrench on where the turbo bolts to the oil return pedestal moved with no effort. I started to tighten it up and guess what, I just knew the threads were stripped BUT I did get it to tighten up big time. I started truck again and NO OIL LEAK. I had missed tighting the bolt, I was sooooooooooooooo delighted you wouldn't believe. Drove it about 30 miles and NOT ONE DROP OF OIL. Love the sound of the turbo spool up and down.

It has been almost a week trying to fix this DAMN OIL LEAK. I have had the turbo on and off 4 times now and maybe now I can once again enjoy my truck.

Jim

Last edited:

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took truck yesterday and had new down pipe made and wow did that make a difference. I can really hear the turbo spool up and down, have to get use to the new sound that my new engine and turbo makes. Hard to keep my foot out of it as in no time I am over the speed limit.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin