Strange clicking

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Ok here is the new problem I was cruising home at 70 tonight runnung good get off of the highway and stop at the light. When I started back up around 1500 RPM a loud clicking started pretty constant not really matching engine speed or vehicle speed. It only makes the ticking under heavy pedal situations in gear. When I rev it in nutral no noise. On a side note no Idea if its related the Tach while idling drops about 200 rpm then jumps back up and she has a new tach sensor last winter. any help will be great she is my daily driver and my only way to work these days........

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Unfortunately my wife cant make it "happen" while I’m listening so I cant figure exactly where its coming from. There was a little bit of extra vibration on the way to work this morning at highway speeds. and it is speed sensitive but still from 1500 to 2000 RPM. My first guess was U-Joints I'll have to replace them this weekend and see if it helps.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exhaust hangers, maybe?

Just a thought...my old Scout had an exhaust hanger break off, and it would make the exhaust pipe vibrate and hit something (probably the broken hanger parts coming in contact with one another) at certain RPM's under certain driving situations. I wouldn't really describe the sound as a clicking, though...but it's something to check...

Good luck!

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
I had the U-joints go out, but it wasn't during certain RPM ranges. I dont think your's would be certain RPM ranges either. The U-joints change rotational speed when you shift... Therefore they would be more likely to pop or click at certain speeds (mph) and not engine speed (rpm) Does that make sense?

Anyways, mine would clunk or pop during acceleration.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
sorta... It was mainly just bad needle bearings in the U-joint, allowing for some slack that had to be taken up in the driveline...

tractorman86

Reaction score
if it isnt a u-joint or exhaust related and gets worse pull the heads and look at the valve guedes and seats!!! i had something that sounded kinda like that and eventually dropped a valve and demolished my #8 cyl

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online