Straight Pipe +/- MPG

lazermule

Reaction score
Searching around a few different forums, I have found some contradicting views on deleting the muffler on my 2002 HO CTD. Some have reported a +1 mpg increase and lower EGT's deleting the muffler, and some have reported a 1-2 MPG decrease deleting the muffler which doesn't seem logical.

Anyone care to weigh in on this with their thoughts?

Thanks,

LM

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO the guys reporting lower MPG prolly have a heavy foot, don't do math too well and like hearing the new sound & power a little too much.:peelout
But I could be wrong too, it's happened once or twice to me.:D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will experience lower EGT's. Your mileage may vary.....:peelout

I'm running a 5" straight pipe.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
I'd personally have to go w/ Tonkadoctor on this one.

the drop in fuel milage could FOR SURE be from wanting to hear it!... I know I was guilty a time or two!... especially if there is a building or long underpass in my path!

my pennies added to the pile!

Diesel Warrior

Browning Snob
Reaction score
My buddy has an 01 CTD and just straight piped his, he lost a little less than 1 mpg on average. He's 67 and does not have anything resembling a heavy foot.

bentwings

Reaction score
I'm a couple years back and drive pretty easy and consistant. I'd say maybe...maybe 1/2 mpg gain. sometimes I think it is more but that's offset by the times I have to rattle windows and tromp on it. That kills any perceived gain for sure.

Any loss comes from tromping on it or just stepping on it a little harder more often just to hear it bark. In itself it can't cause a loss. It depends entirely on your foot. LOL

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw gains on my 99 auto, my dad's 99 5spd, and my 04.5 6spd trucks going more/less straight.

I never saw a decrease. And all gained at least 1 mpg (my auto gained the most)...

steved

Tex56

Reaction score
i saw a decrease with my ****\silencer ring delete;-) After the fun period, mpg stayed the same.

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here... I lost a bit while I played with the new sounds... But Now my MPG numbers are heading up! I'm heading from 16 MPG to 20 MPG with my list of BOMBS! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online