Store cylinder heads?

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to have my cylinder heads machined and won't be installing them for like 3-4 months maybe?

What should I put on the heads to keep rust down? There are oil based rust inhibitors and there's wax based inhibitors. And can I clean the oil/wax off using CRC chlorinated brakleen? what cleaner has no residue?

Last edited:

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would tape off and paint the parts of the heads that are "outside" and then take a dollar store brush and a tub of cheap grease and paint the rest with a thick coat of grease, then wrap them tightly [to keep out as much air as possible] in thick plastic. When you are ready to use them, wipe off as much grease as you can easily, then brush them down with Mineral Sprits [local paint department will have it, usually about $5 a gallon]. Then, I would spray down the gasket mating surfaces with brake cleaner and wipe it all clean... should be good to go..

The military packs stuff in Cosmoline, which is really just thick grease, and it keeps for years in storage. So this would be about the same thing.. should work.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cosmoline is incredible stuff...spray it on and forget it! DONE!

I'd ask the machinist what they recommend or better yet, have him package them in such a way he maintains his warranty.

JM2CW

Al

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I used to work in a machine shop and we used LPS-2 on anything we didn't want to rust. It works well and is easy to clean off. Pretty sure ace hardware sells it in aerosol cans. Grainger also carries it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not just some 30 wt oil. Then wrap them in a rag and then some plastic. If you can find some desiccant somewhere throw in a small bag of that stuff. Stand them on end if they have to touch the concrete floor or put them off the floor on wood blocks. Concrete will be wet no matter how dry it looks. Brakeclean is a good cleaner when the job needs something that wont leave a film or dry residu..

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work in a machine shop and we used LPS-2 on anything we didn't want to rust. It works well and is easy to clean off. Pretty sure ace hardware sells it in aerosol cans. Grainger also carries it.

Do you think I should use LPS-2 or LPS-3 for storage?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Do you think I should use LPS-2 or LPS-3 for storage?

LPS-2 because it will creep more. You can coat the whole entire head in it too and not worry. I think a wax based coating like LPS-3 would be tedious to clean off when it came time for use. If you spray them with LPS-2 and bag them you shouldn't have anything to worry about. We actually had a couple heads sitting around for years like this and they stayed nice and rust free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online