Stock Lift pump vs Electric

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 86 F250 RC LB 4x4 4spd diesel I just picked up a few weeks ago. After looking around to familarize myself with the engine bay, I noticed what I thought to be a fuel heater, but is really my FUEL LIFT PUMP!! The PO apparently was having starting problems and the mech he took it to rerouted the fuel line, and installed a cheap advance autoparts airotek inline lift pump right at the dirty side of the fuel filter. It runs, and seems to supply enough fuel, but who here keeps their electric after fixing the return lines?

Which is better to have, a standard issue mechanical lift pump, or an electric one?

Opinions PLEASE.

Trying to decide what would be better. I'm probably going to replace the pump just because i know it's been on there for 4 or more years, (PO gave me receipts). To get another one is just as cheap as getting a new mechanical. The truck does start hard now, but because the return lines need done and the fuel filter hasn't been changed since July of 2003! ( they only put about 10K miles on it in 6 years, yet I have receipts for 1400 worth of repairs. I bought the truck for $750, and has what I feel is only 120K on it. The engine is original, still all painted gray. The speedo/odo does not work.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not yet but, I think alot of guys are running lectric! cant remember the exact pumps used but if you do a search on holley pumps theres several old threads on them. Cant picture the pump your describing though? Sounds kinda hokey. Some one who knows what their talking about will likely chime in.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The link you posted didn't go to a specific pump, it went to a whole page of them, so can't tell which one, It would help if you write teh model number to verify it is the correct type pump.So long as the guy installed the correct type pump, an electric is the way to go. Makes it much easier to bleed things off if you run dry ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Reason most guys go to an electric pump is for when they change fuel filters. You can just flip the switch and press in on the schrader valve and wait... it will prime the filter for ya, then it makes restarting after a filter change so much easier.

at least that is why I went to it.... it will not make the truck run any better or stronger.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have electrics and I like the benefits of it. If You do any kind of towing then get a pump with higher volume rating than that pump You have.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm running an electric right now, I probably don't NEED it but I like it. So far the barb fittings in the system leak and I've been having to run the pump to bleed the system out before starting. Couldn't imagine doing that with a mechanical. I'm running a Holley Blue and the only problem I'm having with it is i can't get my Napa 3/8" pipe/barb fittings to seal up in the pump and regulator. I guess Napa must have started using Chinese fittings or something.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many reasons I prefer an Electric fuel pump. Not just for filter chagnes, but they are incredibly usefull when troubleshooting. If your along the road fighting a fuel supply issue, you don't want to be cranking drawing down your battery and burning up your glow plugs. You get a constant fuel presure, and more stable flow. Your better off with a pump back near the FSV though. Not up front where they put it.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far the vote is 5 for electric, and 1 for mechanical. ( and that person is thinking about converting to electric).

So I guess I'll stick with the electric, not a problem.

The placement of the pump made me wonder the same, Agnem. The FSV on mine is on the drivers side in the framerail, above the TC skid plate (or is it above the trans cross member? only been under there once). Is this where it normally is?

I'm not assuming anything on this truck, seeing that I just got it, and have limited history on it. My FSV does work, I do know that.

I take it that these electric pumps usually push better than they pull?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yes most electric pumps are better suited pushing fuel rather than lifting it up several inches or feet down line from the fuel tank. That is why almost every new vehicle with an electric pump actually has the pump mounted inside of the fuel tank.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what i thought, don't know for sure with these Low pressure, low volume pumps though. this one seems to be able to handle sucking all the way from the rear tank.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
looks like the "Master Pump" brand I ran with out incident.

If Freight_train owns a weed eater he could cut down the kuduz and crawl under and get a picture of the fuel pump...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another electric pump vote. Don't mount it under the hood. Ask EZ and 6.9dieselfreak why.

Heath