Still hard starting, WHY!!

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i lucked out when i got my gear reduction starter. there was a used one on ebay with an opening bid of $30 and shipping of $15. i placed a high bid of $50 since it was used, and nobody else bid on it so i got it for $45 including shipping. you will definately be amazed at the difference in cranking speed.

i did a little digging for you and came up with a few choices on where to get one. the place i kept seeing in the posts was DB Electrical. they currently have them for $122.00 with free fedex shipping. i also came up with an ebay auction that has a pretty good price.

this auction's seller has a really good rating and the price is slightly better at $116.70 with free shipping.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i just tried to start it 10 minutes ago. I did'nt touch the go pedal and timed gp's with a stopwatch, they stayed on less than 8 secounds.. But it started after maybe 7-8 cranks, heard what i think was the new feul pump making an odd niose and popped the hood to see this??

You must be registered for see images attach

AIR in the top of the feul pump, while it was running?? Could'nt varifie that the pump was making the noise becouse my belts were also sqeeking a bit. I also noticed my engine harness that controlles the gp's and injection pump was getting HOT!! So i shutt it down for now, any idea 's on what you see and hear from me boy's, i'm loosing faith that i'll ever get this thing rite..:confused::dunno

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Looks like you are pulling air in the pump from somewhere.

Also, running the block heater WILL affect the amount of time the gp's are on. The warmer it is, the shorter the glow cycle. In the summer, mine will cycle about 8-10 seconds, in the winter (no block heater) they will cycle twice that long, maybe more if it's really cold. With the block heater on overnight, they will go back to the 8-10 glow cycle. The theory is that they work on heat (actually how long it takes them to glow and the solid state controller senses voltage drop via increased resistance in the gp's). Warm gp's heat up quicker than ice cold ones.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Looks like you are pulling air in the pump from somewhere.

Also, running the block heater WILL affect the amount of time the gp's are on. The warmer it is, the shorter the glow cycle. In the summer, mine will cycle about 8-10 seconds, in the winter (no block heater) they will cycle twice that long, maybe more if it's really cold. With the block heater on overnight, they will go back to the 8-10 glow cycle. The theory is that they work on heat (actually how long it takes them to glow and the solid state controller senses voltage drop via increased resistance in the gp's). Warm gp's heat up quicker than ice cold ones.

Werd. It was 12 degrees when I started mine this morning (not plugged in) and they were glowing for what felt like forever. I think they lit for upwards of 16 seconds before the WTS light went off. Kinda freaked me out actually

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Werd. It was 12 degrees when I started mine this morning (not plugged in) and they were glowing for what felt like forever. I think they lit for upwards of 16 seconds before the WTS light went off. Kinda freaked me out actually

Yep, that's about what mine will glow for at that temp as well...I know during deer season, when I go out to start it, it sometimes makes we wonder if I'm sitting there swelling plugs! lol

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
check glow plugs with ohm meter cranking speed means everything so make sure that is good. on the wiring being hot I would check for shorts on that circuit

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do yall think about the air in my feul pump? Could that be the line leaking at the tank, or maybe a leak at the pump somehow?

I'll try to start it in the morning with no block heater and see how long the gp's stay on and check my wiring that was getting hot. I dont have a muti-meter to check the gp's, i think it's time to buy one.. I wired my feul pump into the power wire for the injection pump, i wonder if thats why the harness heated up??

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Last edited:

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya if i dont have it rite by then, Maybe you can give me some pointers. Going to try to figure out why my harness was getting so hot first, then maybe try switching the gp controller and starter with the ones from my parts truck.

I am still wondering if it is maybe timing that is causing the hard start?? Could that be, or maybe not enogh feul??

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
did you use a relay and use the power off of the top of the pump as the kicker or just pull power directly from there? If the second I would definately swap over to a relay, the factory wiring on these trucks is **** for the most part so I wouldnt run anything except 12v signal wires off of factory wires. every addition I have is ran off of relays or straight fused hot wires. this also makes trouble shooting a little easier since you know where your wires come from and go to you dont have to go searching through a *** of wires taped and loomed together.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just piggybacked onto the main harness, used the power wire that goes to the ip. Do you think this low draw pump could cause the hot harness?? If so how should i wire it, thru the fuse box maybe.. I am not good with wiring, dont even know how to wire up a relay. I dont want to have to turn the pump on with a switch, that just sucks. Ill have to look into it and see how other's have wired electric pumps.. thanks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the harness hot at the square connector? It is likely the glow plug power wires, 2 big yellow,IIRC, making it hot and also causing them not to get full power to heat.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes hot at the conector, what could make the gp power wires get so hot?? Thats could be my problem with the hard starting also could'nt it??

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what could make the gp harness get hot at the conector like typ4 mentioned.. Id like to check into it when the suns up in another hour or so.. thanks

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those wires pull a lot of amps when powering your glowplugs. Those connectors really neck down those two wires and then add a little corrosion for some resistance, instant hot connector, I just bypassed my connector, I solder and heat shrunk them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online