Still hard starting, WHY!!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i started my truck up before i left for work two hours ago. It's 45-50 degree's out, cycled the gp's twice and gave it half throttle. cranked at least 8 times, stopped and cycled the gp's again and now flat to the floor with the throttle it cranked 3 times before kicking over.. Now i am baffled, ive done it all and it still hates to start. New electric feul pump, lines, olives, return kit, matched injectors, beru gp's, gp controller. It has NO air intrusion, and runs perfect ounce it srarts.. Puff's alott of white smoke when it first starts, i think from cranking it so long and just a very light haze of white smoke while running.. Could this hard start problem still be caused by timing, or is there something else that could cause this, or maybe do i need to crank up the feul pressure a flat or two.. Please give me idea's, i feel it should only crank maybe 3-4 times before starting... Oh ya ounce it has a little heat in iit, it start's in 1 crank..... Thanks

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
how quick is it turning over? Mine would take a while to start because it wasnt turning over fast enough. new g31 batteries and gear red. starter fixed that.

also is it loosing prime? possibly a bad line from the tank up? what about the filter head, is that sealed up good?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont floor it and try it, the pump should inject max fuel at low /cranking rpm till it starts and the gov picks it up.
Just a thought. try it, once at least.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how quick is it turning over? Mine would take a while to start because it wasnt turning over fast enough. new g31 batteries and gear red. starter fixed that.

also is it loosing prime? possibly a bad line from the tank up? what about the filter head, is that sealed up good?

Fuel heater deleted, check valve has new core and cap with rubber seal, senser in back deleted.. Also has brand new batteries snd the starter was done a year ago with a napa rebuild...

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one think this could be timing or lack of feul maybe?? I was thinking id crank up the feul a flat or two and try it, but i have no pyrometer..

sassyrel

Reaction score
Fuel heater deleted, check valve has new core and cap with rubber seal, senser in back deleted.. Also has brand new batteries snd the starter was done a year ago with a napa rebuild...

mmmmm,rebuilt napa.......rebuilds anymore,by any chainstore,are getting far less in quality,,than some years back. take the starter,to a local rebuild shop if you have one,,and let them go thru it..then you know its good..cant believe some of the stuff ive run into,,on "rebuilds". and yes, i rebuild those idi's that come into the shop, and hop up the psd starters..

sassyrel

Reaction score
Sems to crank fine, could it realy be just a starter?? I mean it aint going ru-ru-ru-ru, it's more like rr-rr-rr-rr 'you know what i mean'..

cranking speed,,is REAL important,esp with the cr ratio of our trucks...

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cranking speed,,is REAL important,esp with the cr ratio of our trucks...

I'm gonna try it in maybe an hour, see how it cranks and starts. If i feel like trying it, i have onother starter i could throw on. It was on my parts truck and it's a new one, not reman.. Do'nt know how old it is thou, looks brand new..

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possable maybe my gp's are not working 100%, the gp's are new beru and the controller is an older replacment put on by the last owner. I have no idea of the condition of the relay, is it possable they are working, just not to 100%???

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of starter do you have on? I had to get a new starter for my truck a few years back and thanks to the guys on here i put a gear reduction starter on ( i believe that's what its called ) WHOOOOOA, did that make it spin over quicker and start faster!! ;Sweet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
As Russ said, try it without touching the fuel feed. Mine will crank and crank if I even move it before cranking. If I don't touch it, it will literally be started before it cranks one revolution, cold/hot, whatever! I let the gp's cycle, crank it and it's running almost instantly, touch the fuel feed, and it will turn over 4-5 times maybe more before it fires off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online