Still hard starting after GP replacement

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, replaced the GPs a couple of days ago. The GP controller now cycles the WTS light for 10 to 12 seconds the first time around which I believe is about right for operation.

Starting is better but on a 50 degree day I had to cycle the GPs a second time before it would fire. Better than it was before but still not up to *****. I'm guessing I still have something wrong somewhere but not really sure where to start. What other issues can I look for that might cause difficult starting?

On our trip of about 1700 miles round trip towing a horse trailer with an estimated weight of around 3200 lbs I would guess I used on average about 1 quart in each 350 miles or so. Might be a little better than that, just can't remember for sure.

Truck has about 168,000 miles on it and unknown history.

Any thoughts as to why it still difficult to start?

Thanks,

Brad

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 quart every 350 miles?!? :shocked:

IMHO, unless you have a massive leak, losing more than a quart every 500 miles or so is too much...it might be worth it to do a compression check. How much blow-by do you have?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
That oil consumption is on the high side......how much crankase vapors are exiting the dipstick/oil fill with eng at operating temps?

Have you inspected/cleaned the CDR valve?

Is there heavy white/grey smoke on cold start......and does it clear if you bring the rpms up to say 1500 or so?

Even with diesels making no vacum, there have been oil consumption issues related to a leaking intake/valley pan gskt.

Inj pump timing will have an effect on cold start as well as fuel drain back.

How is the cranking speed...slow and growly or snap fast?

Just a few thoughts....

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
That oil consumption is on the high side......how much crankase vapors are exiting the dipstick/oil fill with eng at operating temps?

Have you inspected/cleaned the CDR valve?

Is there heavy white/grey smoke on cold start......and does it clear if you bring the rpms up to say 1500 or so?

Even with diesels making no vacum, there have been oil consumption issues related to a leaking intake/valley pan gskt.

Inj pump timing will have an effect on cold start as well as fuel drain back.

How is the cranking speed...slow and growly or snap fast?

Just a few thoughts....

I haven't noticed any oil vapors around the engine dipstick, but then again I haven't specifically looked for some. I'll do so tomorrow in the daylight hours.

CDR valve, not sure where its at or what it looks like. I'll look through the manuals that I have (factory service manual B, diagnostics h and EVTM) and see if I can find a reference to where it is.

Yes there is white smoke on start up and it does clear after you rev it up. The longer it takes to start the more white smoke there seems to be.

How would I look for or check the leaking valley pan gasket?

How do you check for fuel drain back?

Cranking speed is on par with normal gas engined trucks that I've owned. I would definitely say its not fast and snappy.

I don't have the tools to do a compression check on a diesel. This is the first one we've owned (other than my diesel backhoe).

One other thing I noticed while I had the air cleaner off the other day was a rubber hose coming out the back of it that was about 3/4" ID. It didn't seem to go anywhere and I'm sure thats not correct but I couldnt' see anything that it should plug into or connect to.

Thanks,

Brad

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
If the starter is spinning slower than it should that'll add to a hard start. How old are the batteries? If they are getting weak then you'll need to replace them regardless of what other fixes you might need to do. If the starter is going bad it will need to be replaced or rebuilt. If your getting air in the fuel system then most likely it's time for a return line kit. None of these are all that difficult to do just figuring out which one needs to be done is important. It sounds like the plugs are burning for the right amount of time in cooler weather. Do some checking on the batteries and starter and go from there. Check all the return Ts on top of the injectors. If you notice any fuel leaking anywhere it's time for a $25 return line kit. A good diesel shop or injector/ pump shop will have those.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Sounds like a slow starter speed to me too. Check batteries and starter. White smoke on start up? could be unburnt fuel caused by slow start. The blue(oil),white(coolant)and grey(fuel) smokes are sometimes hard to tell apart. The CDR looks like a large tuna can on the back of the air intake(where a carborator would sit on a gasser)

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I know what yer goin through, as far as why, I cant answer that. My old boss has a 90 F-superduty that hates to start, even with good batts and starter! n it huff all sortsa WHITE smoke while cranking, but the GPs are always shot too. I think he uses...... autolite, I told em to get the motorcraft. but anyway, go take that puppy down n get er timed, and check compression and blowby, then go from there.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GRuss said:
Sounds like a slow starter speed to me too. Check batteries and starter. White smoke on start up? could be unburnt fuel caused by slow start. The blue(oil),white(coolant)and grey(fuel) smokes are sometimes hard to tell apart. The CDR looks like a large tuna can on the back of the air intake(where a carborator would sit on a gasser)

Well, the batteries have definitely turned out to be part of the problem. Its turned cold here in Arkansas and it wouldn't start on its own. Had to jump start with my Honda. Did notice that once the two vehicles were hooked together and I turned the ignition on, when the WTS came on the honda idle was really pulled down :eek:. But it started right off when the extra boost from the Honda battery.

So, sometime in the near future new batteries are in order. Don't use the truck much right now so I'm not in a big hurry.

Still haven't had a chance to check out the CDR. I'll probably do that sometime this week if it warms up LOL.

Thanks,

Brad

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
You'll find with new batteries the engine will spin even faster than with the Honda attached. You probably gave it a hernia trying to start your truck! LOL The batteries will most likely fix your start problem since it worked okay getting jumped. Double check those T's when you get a chance to be sure there's no air getting in the fuel system.