Steering seems loose/ wandering

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so,
I’ve had this truck
(1997 f250 PowerStroke) 6k miles. To get a double check on my opinion of it’s steering/ handling I took a drive in a friends 1993 f350 IDI which is at least the same OBS front. In my opinion the steering suspension feels loose, or kinda wandering about the road. Everything except one upper ball joint is tight. I’ve replaced the single loose ball joint. Marginally it improved. I’ve had it looked at and no defect was found. So I’m wandering if I should start replacing steering suspension parts first, or pay for alignment with parts already on it?
Truck has 226k miles. Unfortunately, Not sure how much original suspension is on it.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If everything on the front end is "tight" by pushing and pulling on each component, it is common to "adjust" the steering box to remove the play in the steering.

Get the steering centered and loosen the stop nut on the steering box.

Go 1/2 turn at a time on the allen bolt and go for a test drive.

Remember how many turns you have made, if you go too far and the truck doesn't return to center out of a curve back off a 1/4 turn.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With twin I beam check all the bushings on the suspension that can also play a factor, new shocks can help also because their bushings can also cause some slop. If they are old and bulging and cracked looking it's likely that isn't helping your steering. Is the steering wheel loose with play?

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay,
I’m gonna look again. My main attention had been tie rods, and ball joints. I have no idea how thorough it was inspected by the mechanic shop.
I’m gonna lift it back up and look again. Paying more attention to the shocks along with the rest. Maybe do a small tightening of the streering box.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With twin I beam check all the bushings on the suspension that can also play a factor, new shocks can help also because their bushings can also cause some slop. If they are old and bulging and cracked looking it's likely that isn't helping your steering. Is the steering wheel loose with play?
I don’t believe it’s in the steering wheel. I’m thinking shocks/ steering box at this moment.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The collapse section of the shaft has a plastic sleeve that when worn or broke causes lots of play I replaced mine and it was like a whole new world after. Their Is also u joints in the steering shaft as well

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also an awesome check for tie rods and track bar is to leave it on the ground, start it up and have a helper turn the steering wheel slowly and shortly moving it faster harder and farther. Look at about everything except your ball joints. Then jack up your front end and use a block of wood and a pry bar to "bounce" your tire assy and see if your ball joints are loose then have your helper shake your tire top to bottom and see if they wiggle. The technical answer is if anything has play change it and get an alignment ASAP. The cheep answer is. Start with the loosest and go from there, but start with track bar(1/8"max) and ball joints(1/32 is ~ and 1/16 or more is change) if they are loose as they directly affect frame and axle alignment. If nothing is found loose then suspect gear box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online