Steering issue

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Dont worry I am in the same boat. although mine dont seem to be binding. I can shake my steering wheel a lot. I know the bolt holding the wheel on isnt the issue. I also agree that just changing out the column will be A LOT simpler than tearing it all apart to replace the bearings in it.

swapping the column is best with 2 people one to position it and one to start bolting it. It can be taken out in minutes.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
local yard didn't have an auto column, but they do have a full 94 factory turbo-Drool

won't seperate the turbo from the motor and I can't afford to spend $2k on a 200k mile motor right now.

anyway, have you guys found the parts for this fix yet?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can shake my steering wheel a lot. I know the bolt holding the wheel on isnt the issue. I also agree that just changing out the column will be A LOT simpler than tearing it all apart to replace the bearings in it.

swapping the column is best with 2 people one to position it and one to start bolting it. It can be taken out in minutes.

The bearing get shot by using the steering wheel as a grab handle when getting in and out of the truck. Gotta get a step or just remember not to grab the wheel when getting up in the truck.

I just finished tearing apart the steering column in my '86 crew cab. I was removing the column shifter and swapping over stuff from a manual column for my C6 to ZF5 swap. It isn't too complicated, but it is a PITA.

Shoot........ I wish I had another guy to help me with the column, but I'm a one man show most of the time. It's not too bad to do by yourself, but like pulling the column apart, it is a PITA.

To the original poster......... Is your column a tilt column? The U-joint in the tilt section may be ***** as well, causing the binding your feeling.

Heath

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Checked 3 jumkyards and none had the column I am looking for, that or someone tore the colums up. I just may replace the bearings. How many are there? Can they be got at any parts stores?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Those bearings can be tough to replace. We did it in a friends truck and it happened again in a few months. to make things easier i suggest pulling the column from the truck, really isnt hard and u can work on a bench and have room to move. cant remember how we did it or where he got the bearings but it wasnt much money.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Is there anyway you could find out where he got the bearings? Seems no one around has a good column for a replacement. If I have to Ill buy a crappy column and get the bearings out of it. Can I use the bearings out of an older one?

1994IDI

Reaction score
Thanks Heath. It is a tilt column, but it was the bearings that needed replaced.
I am not sure where the bearings came from. The guy that rebuilt it for me brought all the parts.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any luck yet???:dunno

I am still driving mine w/ the dash tore apart while I look for parts. My wife works for a parts co. and they say they can't get the bearings. Cross reference says that the column is the same as a Taurus, but it doesn't say that the bearings are included.

Cinncinnatti guy, are you near Eastgate? Check Smyth and see if they got one of these steering kits in yet. May work and may not.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I went to Singleton auto parts yesterday and picked up one for $50 no key, but got to tearing it apart and the bigger bearing at the top side fell apart. Called Mt Orab ford, Beechmont ford, and they did a search and no one has the bearing kit, but they can order it today and have it Tuesday. Ya you talking about the Smyths Warehouse in mt. Carmel area?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
mine is doing the same thing. the PO was a little hefty and must of used the wheel as an o **** handle. I have pulled it apart and was wondering if i could take those weird bearings to a bearing store and match them for something stronger. i was looking on rock auto for the bearings with no luck. i have yet to call the dealer to see what they want for them.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I mean the Mt. Carmel Smyth. I talked to "Tony " there a couple weeks ago, but have not been back to check things out. He said they had a Taurus kit coming in that week that cross referenced, but it didn't say anything about bearings........Again, I have been so buisy I haven't made the trip back yet.

BTW local yard here does have a 5-spd column if needed.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Yup, I mean the Mt. Carmel Smyth. I talked to "Tony " there a couple weeks ago, but have not been back to check things out. He said they had a Taurus kit coming in that week that cross referenced, but it didn't say anything about bearings........Again, I have been so buisy I haven't made the trip back yet.

BTW local yard here does have a 5-spd column if needed.

Ill give them a call tomorrow or stop by there after work. BTW what yard you go to? I was able to find me a clean automatic tilt column at u pull n pay in Carthage, none of the yards I frequent had much.