Steering issue

1994IDI

Reaction score
This one will be hard to explain but I developed a steering issue a few days ago. As I begin turning my steering wheel (only when I'm moving, not sitting still) the wheel will become gradually hard to rotate throughout the turn, until finally it will "pop", and then feel normal. After I get through the turn, and return the wheel back to the center, it will "pop" in the same place, and resume steering as normal. After this started I found that I can wiggle the steering wheel up and down. I have no experience with any steering components. I may have forgotten some details, let me know what else you need to know. Thanks for any advice, I'd really like to get this straightened out.

On edit: This is definitely becoming worse and worse. When it started it was barely noticeable, and that couldn't have been more than a week ago. Now it is almost every turn, and very drastic.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My guess is tie rods. Does it matter which way you turn it or does it pop both ways? I would put the front end on blocks and go from there

1994IDI

Reaction score
As I said, I have no experience with steering components. But I am not leaking any power steering, and I don't know where the linkages are. The tie-rods were all replaced a year ago with quality parts. I'd like to think it's not that for now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a simple test is in order. Put the front end up on jack stands with the wheels off the ground, and get someone to turn the wheel while you watch the tie rods. If you hear the pop, you should see it too. You may have to disconnect the drag link from the steering box if the pop seems to be coming from there, and test just the steering box. Hopefully the noise from the engine will not drown out what your trying to observe.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly a worn steering U-Joint or the rag joint is coming apart. The rag joint is a rubber donut impregenated with fibers that tears apart in the event of a serious impact.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
with the play I would say thats the test.
another test is to take the column loose at the u joint under the dash and see if you can turn the part connected to the steering wheel from there.

1994IDI

Reaction score
I think I've settled on column bearings, but I will be checking the rag joint when the sun is up. If it's in good shape, I will try to find someone to replace my column bearings without ****** me. I have a nice stock of tools, but it doesn't seem like a driveway job? Any suggestions, how long should it take, what kind of shop should I be looking for?

JPdrvinmylfawy

Reaction score
I think I've settled on column bearings, but I will be checking the rag joint when the sun is up. If it's in good shape, I will try to find someone to replace my column bearings without ****** me. I have a nice stock of tools, but it doesn't seem like a driveway job? Any suggestions, how long should it take, what kind of shop should I be looking for?

If it was me i would replace the column will be alot cheaper. Anyone that can and will work on one isnt going to be cheap. I find them here all the time for between 50-100 dollars and you can change that out yourself. but thats just me

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting you posted this. My truck just started doing the same thing. I took the dash apart in the drive this evening and pulled the steering wheel off to check it all out.

The whole bearing replacement deal looks pretty simple, but anyone know how to press the spring back in place when I am ready to put it all back together?

Also, if I get a used column instead what is involved in swapping that out?

Don't meen to hijack the thread, but it looks like we could both benefit here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online