starts,stalls,no power

tchofclas

Reaction score
this is my 2nd '87 6.9, owned 6+ years. couple of days ago drove over to neighbors across rd, picked up pssgr, and headed out. Couldn't get over about 25mph, acted like no connection to fuel pedal, finally stalled after going about mile 1/2. Started fine and ran ok to destination. After a couple of hours, started fine, stalled after about 200 ft. Stalled 7/8 times in next mile then ran fine to fuel station. When I went to fill up, although it is always slow filling at this pump, would overflow before it could kick of, so filled 5 gal can, figured put in at home. Ran about 2 mile,stalled when stopped to turn, started, started up hill after turning, stalled again. (1/2 tank fuel) Couldn't keep running, so walked to another gas station, bought can fuel conditioner. (Temp about 26 degrees) Wouldn't even take 1/2 quart, and stayed in filler tube. (Water in fuel light had come on once after previous fill.) Would start and run with fuel pedal about half way down, but if put in gear, stalled.this was with filler cap off. Left it sit and walked back to friends, called another friend who brought a hose. Tried shoving it down filler hose, but just realized now, should probably have had finger over end before inserting. Anyway, still stalled, so towed home, tried filter, looked ok, cracked injectors, of 6 cracked, only one spurted fuel, but was fuel at others. Changed filter, still no go. Sorry about long post, but figure details imp. Oil is low, am going to change now. do these motors have kill switch for low oil/coolant like the big trucks I drive for a living?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did you have lots of black smoke... That would tell you the air filter is dirty and you aren't getting enough air for a good burn. Any sir come out the shrader valve on the vuel filter head. Water in fuel signal maybe telling you the fuel line is frozen too.

beaver55

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine not starting very good and when it did, it would not rev up at all. mine is a 7.3 1994, and what I did was take the back of the injecter pump off and there is a filter in there that was pluged with crap, take 5 lines off the pump, loosen them off the injectors, remove a small screw on back of pump, and unscrew the back cone shape part, and pull straight back,be careful not to pull back part of vain pump apart.I put it back together and it works great. It is another thing that you can think about trying,

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a fuel supply issue. When cranking it over (someone in the cab), open the schraider valve on the filter head. Fuel (and fuel only.... no air) should spray out of the valve. If you just get a small trickle..... your fuel lift pump may be done. Also, how old or how many miles are on the injectors and IP? How clean is the air filter.

Heath

tchofclas

Reaction score
Sorry I have been so long getting back to replies, had to wait or a 2nd pair of hands. Lots of fuel at shraider valve. Loosened lines at 7 injectors, can't get at back one on pssgr side (under solenoid?) Fuel spurting at one on pssgr side, more on pssgr side, than drivers, and one on driver's next to nothing. Should have mentioned has Bank's turbo, ip was done less than 25,000 ago. Only putting about12,500 km on it a year. total now is 320,000. think the original pump went early as about 2 years before it went got a fill up of gas out of a diesel pump. Drove about 50 mi before figured out problem.Drained tanks, and put diesel in and ran ok, but probably contributed to early demise of pump. Pulled top of turbo off as was clean spot on engine under it, thought it might have been leaking fuel there, but can't see a leak, though 2 lines at pump look dry and other look damp. Filter was dirty as turbo has been sucking oil, but Lucas additive has cut that back about 90%. Did try it with filter out, but no difference. @ Beaver 55 is the screw you are referring to use an alan key?
Spent a lot of time reading some other forums after pulling it apart yesterday, and when help gets here, will check return line, as well as power to pump. Appreciate all the help, just took me awhile to implement it!

beaver55

Reaction score
Mine has a small tourqe screw, it is hard to see since it is at the top and points towards the back of engine, once you get the screw out, the cup part with the filter in it screws out, I think it was a 3/4 inch nut that is molded to the cup. I hope that helps you out, remember do not pull the vain part of the pump out.

tchofclas

Reaction score
update

OK, checked line between filter and pump, then checked filter in pump. Was very careful taking it off, and it was clean, ugh, was really hoping that might be it. Since the pump has probably less than 30,000 miles on figured it shouldn't be the pump, must be missing something. Called a friend with a lot of equipment and asked who she used. guy came out and said he wasn't real familiar with these engines, but would look. Snow has gone away, truck sunk a bit and while I went to get jack to raise it enough for me to get under it, didn't he pull a 'ring' with little metal squares off it. Guess they would be the vanes, right? And I noticed on another forum, it says you should check power to pump in 2 positions on ignition switch, which I don't believe was done, and I was leaning toward some power problem, so now guessing pump has to go to shop?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ARG!!! Never... I repeat... NEVER let somebody who says "Well I don't really know anything about these..." touch your truck without a verbal agreement that all touching must be pre-approved! He took the transfer pump apart. Unless he can figure out exactly how to get it back together, then yes your IP just had 70,000 miles shaved off it's life. But then again, maybe replacing the pump will solve your problem. We won't know until you try. BUT if it doesn't solve your problem, you may have 2 problems to solve (replacment of parts without verification that they are bad always introduces the possibility of adding a defective unverified part) and then you will be really crying the blues. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online