Starting and Exhaust issues

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok two things

one, my truck glow plug system fries itself every month and a half or so, i know what cuases it but everything is new and the glow plug light still comes on when your cruising around once and a while, fouls out my plugs and makes me spend another 70 bucks. question is this, converting to the solid state glow plug system, is it very hard? the only thing ive heard an issue about is the fact of wiring up the glow plug light

two, exhaust came off, right now im driving around open y pipe, it had an aftermarket one on there, it was a hypermax 4" y back system i believe, sounded awesome, this no muffler setup sounds horrid, can anyone point me to some exhausts? can newer style f series exhaust systems work on the older trucks? (87-97)

third and final thing, fired her with ether twice, not alot, but i dont really want to do it again, but i may have to once and a while, i know this is catastrophic for the 6.0s and pops head gaskets, but on the idi's can they take some ether hits?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
regarding the exhaust - A few guys have cut and welded a +99 exhaust to fit, but they are not a bolt in. The +99 is a 3.5" system.

Some of the problems I remember when I tried it:
1. The rear hanger needs to be moved.
2. The exhaust gets really close to the spare tire. Part of the problem is the shock location is different than ours which affects the exhaust when it goes over the axle.
3. The muffler is huge and will hang way down.

Here are some photos of a 2000 or 2001 (don't remember the year for sure) next to a stock 1991.

Attachments

• DSC00031s.JPG
    DSC00031s.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00033s.JPG
    DSC00033s.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking for aftermarket bolt on, like a 4" if not i ma repair my old exhaust and bolt her back on, if there arent any

my trucks spare tire has been relocated...long story there

i found the hypermax exhaust i have for $225 its a 3.5" system

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tbirdfiend281 said:
one, my truck glow plug system fries itself every month and a half or so, i know what cuases it but everything is new and the glow plug light still comes on when your cruising around once and a while, fouls out my plugs and makes me spend another 70 bucks. question is this, converting to the solid state glow plug system, is it very hard? the only thing ive heard an issue about is the fact of wiring up the glow plug light
I think it depends on how you want to go about it. I've been planning to convert to the solid-state glow plug system for almost a year now, and I have a new controller, 8 new bullet-style plugs, etc. Only thing is, since I'm switching to the bullet-connector plugs, I plan to re-do the engine wiring harness as well...this is why I haven't done it yet; because I need to take the time to gather the parts, figure out how exactly to wire it, and then do the wiring. As to wiring the controller, I know what has been said on here, but if you look at the wiring diagram (attached to this post), at least to me, things are actually pretty confusing. When I do get around to getting my system installed, I plan to rent a U-Haul truck with an IDI for a day, look at that system VERY carefully with a volt/ohm meter, and wire my system based on that. But, it'll be at least another month before I can do that, so that won't help you too much. :sorry:

third and final thing, fired her with ether twice, not alot, but i dont really want to do it again, but i may have to once and a while, i know this is catastrophic for the 6.0s and pops head gaskets, but on the idi's can they take some ether hits?
*flame suit on*

I've been using ether to start my truck ever since February. As I mentioned before, I haven't had time to install the solid-state plugs, and EVERY plug that's in my engine at the moment is dead. I know this isn't a good thing, but on my budget, I can't justify replacing the spade-connector plugs just for "temporary" use...and I don't want to run the bullet-connector plugs with a pushbutton. If you're VERY careful about how much ether you use, it's actually safe. You should hold the "button" down for a split second, and no longer. It's really best to simply experiemnt, but keep in mind that it's better to not spray enough than it is to spray too much. Also, MAKE SURE THE GLOW PLUGS ARE DISABLED FIRST!! If even one glow plug is activated and you use ether, the plug can ignite the ether, leading to serious engine damage.

I have noticed that, in the last month, I've needed a little bit more ether to start the engine than I have in the past...but I think that's partially due to the cooler weather and partially due to this starter starting to go out on me (made the mistake of letting it crank too long when bleeding the power steering system; thank goodness for Pep Boys' lifetime warranty!!).

In essence, I wouldn't suggest relying on ether to start an IDI on a regular basis, but as long as you're careful about it and you keep the glow plugs from heating up, it's not the end of the world if you use it occasionally. I don't think using ether on an IDI will lead to long-term damage, but without pulling my engine apart, I can't speak for certain.

Also, I don't know if this would make a difference or not, but I spray the ether into the air intake behind the grille...so, the ether has to go through the air filter before going into the engine. I have a gut feeling that the ether going into the engine "indirectly" makes it safer, but that could be nothing more than gut instinct...

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i shoot mine down the fuel bowl, but i may just shoot some into the intake...i give it a slight spurt of spray then she fires on up, i think i could convert the system in a day, i have both style idi glow plug system on hand that i can look over, but i figure i should be able to wire it all up and install it as a full system

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Man, just be careful w/ that stuff!
My dad always told me to only spray it w/ the engine cranking- so it dosen't just load up one hole and (violently) break something, what do y'all think?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flame suit on.....
ether is my friend. It keeps me from having to pull cyl heads from broken glow plugs. And no ether is not habit forming for your motor. Unless if you use enough to hear a nasty spark knock on startup. If you GP system is still functional, wait for the gpr to finish clicking off and then shoot "just a sniff" into the front entrance of your intake duct. The closer you shoot it into the intake, the less time it has to mix evenly. i used ether on my carrier for years and had no negative issues on the motor. BTW....the motor hydrolocked at 640k on the odo.....it was on a steady diet of bar's leak too. :eek:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive used ether many times.as long as youre carefull with it youll be fine.

and for your exhaust.

a system for the 95 1/2-97 trucks will fit but you gotta get a reducer to go from 3 1/2" down to your size Y pipe.any of the site sponsors should have the 4" for the for those trucks. talk to ryan at www.beansdieselperformance.com .he should have it.or do a search on EBay for "powerstroke"you will find the 4"systems for these trucks there also for a good price

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Check this out, it's made by Redarc Electronics in Austraila.
I'm sure you could make one like it out of radioshack/fry's parts. ;Sweet

No flame suit necessary, maybe some gloves though- I still have no hair on my right index finger from an ether "incident"! :D :D

G'day!

Attachments

• GCU1224P.pdf
    63.4 KB · Views: 19

Fred Hemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbirdfiend281 said:
ok two things

Simple fix!
Buy a button!
Remove the wire from the relay and send the power from that wire up to the button and back down to the relay from the other side of the button!now the controler is disconnected from the relay except when the button is pushed, push the button wait for the light to go out start the engine and forget about it! you still have your startup timer so the glow time for start up is in tacked.

Mine has been wired like this for years and is still working fine.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Macguyver82 said:
Man, just be careful w/ that stuff!
My dad always told me to only spray it w/ the engine cranking- so it dosen't just load up one hole and (violently) break something, what do y'all think?

thats about right, but impossible in the am when no one is up, im gonna have to ask someone to come get me at my house to help me do that

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fred Hemer said:
Simple fix!
Buy a button!
Remove the wire from the relay and send the power from that wire up to the button and back down to the relay from the other side of the button!now the controler is disconnected from the relay except when the button is pushed, push the button wait for the light to go out start the engine and forget about it! you still have your startup timer so the glow time for start up is in tacked.

Mine has been wired like this for years and is still working fine.

i think i may buy new plugs a switch and some wire to do that for now, i hear the retro fit solid state system is pricey...good looking buddy

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o and i dont feel like forking out 225 for the hyper max system so ima do 3" striaghtpipe all the way out back behind the wheel...it sounds like ass with it coming out right next to the trans but all the way back behind the diffy should only anoy the neighbors

Fred Hemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup

tbirdfiend281 said:
i think i may buy new plugs a switch and some wire to do that for now, i hear the retro fit solid state system is pricey...good looking buddy

you'll never have to buy that expencive set up if you do this!Ive had mine set up like this since before my controler failed and I hardly noticed my controler had failed except i intentionally pushed pushed the button one day after it was warmed up and found the glow light was still cycling on and off! ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online