starter...

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
just trying to verify before i put it in & can't get my money back - did i get the right starter? it's too cold right now for my skinny butt to crawl under the truck, but it sure seems correct, IIRC.

that white paper says: "this is the OEM unit built by Mitsu. see below for other versions built by assorted mfrs"

got it at a locally owned shop & this was all they offered. $140 + $50 core, so i'm thinking i'll keep my OE & have it rebuilt... thoughts?
now, off to work :mad:

Attachments

• starter2.JPG
    starter2.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 12
  • starter3.JPG
    starter3.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 9

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
At the risk of starting a great starter debate I am going to tell you that the Mitsubishi is the best starter option for the IDI. They crank the fastest and have the most HP behind them. The weak link on them is the solenoid. You can replace it fairly easy but finding one can be a pain.
Enjoy
Ken

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ken-
no arguement here. BTW, if you need a new solenoid, I have a source for them. The thing I like most about the mitsu starter, they are the the easiest to R&R in less than ideal conditions. The top bolt of the ND give cause for blood and bad langauge. -cuss :mad: -cuss :mad: -cuss

one more thing....Ken, its good to see you down here again ;Sweet

bgfire

Reaction score
Looks like what I put on this morning, and what I took off. For a $50 core, I would have it rebuilt, and keep it for a spare; that is my plan.

Bill

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
LOL your not kidding about that top bolt. You aint seen nothing untill you try to get that ******* bolt out of a truck equiped with a Delco! The Nippon isn't much better the only difference is the Nippon needs metric cuss words LOL I'm always around more when the weather cools off. I work too uch all other times.
Ken

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Frank Git-r-done ;Sweet
Crawled under the Gold one and same thing.
So for $50.00 keep that old one for that 7.3L Scout project hogging up driveway space. :rotflmao

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
thanks, guys.
talk about 'less than ideal conditions,' Calvin - it's been raining since i got off work Sunday evening... my guess is 2-3" so far with no end in sight :mad:

to top it off, turned the key this morning & NOTHING. a couple taps with the ball peen wrench & i was on my way, though.
lining up a dry and (unlike mine) empty garage to get it done tonight.

oh, and Dog... wait'll i tell you about the '86 i was offered today - like i need another un-running truck on the compound cookoo cookoo

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
THAT WAS FUN!

ok then. i hope i never have to do that again, but if i do - i will know the secrets.
that top friggin' bolt really got to me... didn't help that i burned the back side of my right hand on the oilpan 5 times :mad: -cuss

and did i mention anything about the fact that i had to do this with a scaphoid fracture?

this is how it happens:
You must be registered for see images
- don't ask.

let's just say that it has humbled me. i now know how close we are to those without opposable thumbs. needless to say, it hurt a bit to hold the ratchet, much less turn it. don't even ask about holding up the F'ing starter!!! i wouldn't wish the pain on a Cumapart owner :eek: !
currently, i can barely hold a full beer, hence my excuse for emptying them as quickly as possible :drunk:

i am told that i am a handsome man. really. no, stop laughing. really. yes, that is a pic of me - just after i got home. i washed up well with GOJO in the deepsink at my buddy's warehouse, then washed my face pretty thoroughly with water & wiped off with paper towels (only 'cause he said i should).
i offered to buy him a beer afterwards - seemed like the right thing to do, right? he declined :confused:
anyway, that's what i saw when i walked in.

hmmmm... no wonder that hottie at the stoplight drove off like a bat out of hell when i smiled at her!

Attachments

• starterme.JPG
    starterme.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 18

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
ok then. i hope i never have to do that again, but if i do - i will know the secrets.
that top friggin' bolt really got to me... didn't help that i burned the back side of my right hand on the oilpan 5 times :mad: -cuss

hmmmm... no wonder that hottie at the stoplight drove off like a bat out of hell when i smiled at her!
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Ahh the signs of the frustrated amateur. :rolleyes:

Good to see ya made it thru THAT 5 minute job. :idiot:

Well did it solve the problem?

If'n so...... :cheers: :cheers:

As fo the hottie????? She was gasping for fresh air as BB was burnin' that Bunker oil and breathing out the RDT.....AHHHH fresh air... Not you type Frank. :D

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
Good to see ya made it thru THAT 5 minute job. :idiot:
1:30 - 1:45, a good :45 of that was figurin' out how to remove the top bolt :backoff took my time & used di-elec grease on all connections, too.
Well did it solve the problem?
like Columbo, my brother from another mother! ;Sweet turned the key & she sputtered within 1/2 a second! can't wait 'til it's 20*F for a REAL test!

i think she's spinning so fast i'm going up to 4 gallons per tank... :Sly no worries, mate.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
1:30 - 1:45, a good :45 of that was figurin' out how to remove the top bolt :backoff took my time & used di-elec grease on all connections, too.
At least with the mitsu you can get a fairly straight shot at all the bolts. ;Sweet
There's a local resturaunt that closes around 1:30 am and more than once I have made a dinner run looking worse than you do in your pic. cookoo
They don't mind since I am known to tip well. ;Sweet
Btw....now that you mastered the mitsu starter, I have a denso starter for you to R&R :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
i am told that i am a handsome man. really. no, stop laughing. really. yes, that is a pic of me - just after i got home.
I believe you...no, really! Hey, as anyone on here who's met me can concur, you look far better in that pic than I do on the best of days ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
*wouldn't wish this on a cummapart owner*

Herd this - Grease Monkey :moon:

Ah yes I have wrestled with the top bolt on more than one occasion... Don't let them fool ya, everyone hates that top bolt... and has gone a few rounds with it.