Starter turns, stops, then turns and cranks. Video a

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a quick clip of what it does. I cant remember exactly but I'm pretty sure this started right after I tried to use starting fluid to get my engine to crank which caused a loud knock and popping (Lifter damaged possibly?) and or when my engine caught fire. Both were right around the same time.

Those happened about 8 months ago

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I appreciate everyone heres help. Yall have been a tremendous help in the short time I've been on this site

Last edited:

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s hydro locking the engine. If you have to use ether, you need to spray a very small amount as the engine is turning over (jump the solenoid, or get a helper) and make sure your glow plugs are disconnected and cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s hydro locking the engine. If you have to use ether, you need to spray a very small amount as the engine is turning over (jump the solenoid, or get a helper) and make sure your glow plugs are disconnected and cold

I'm aware of that since I tried that and did research shortly thereafter. I was just putting that in as background information in case it might've has something to do with the starting turning the way it did someway somehow.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the way the ether was used is what caused it to turn over that way

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it does this every time you could have a coolant leak into a cylinder. @IDIoit had this happen on is truck.

No It doesn't seem to happen every time. I tested that last night and It seems to do in the 1st time it cranks. I'll try it out again tonight but it seems like after you crank it it doesn't do it as badd and then stops doing it all together

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you seeing coolant loss?
pressure test the system.
I had cracked heads

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you seeing coolant loss?
pressure test the system.
I had cracked heads

I will check the coolant after I make sure its topped off and look into pressure testing the system. I've not noticed anything on the oil dipstick after I changed my IP for fuel leaking into the oil and drove it to the store if that matters.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any milk shake when I had my 2nd issue. coolant would leak into the crank case. very minor amount, but enough to cause concern.
if its in the heads, it will most likely burn off during combustion to leak into the oil

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any milk shake when I had my 2nd issue. coolant would leak into the crank case. very minor amount, but enough to cause concern.
if its in the heads, it will most likely burn off during combustion to leak into the oil

What do you mean by milk shake?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks just like a chocolate milkshake... brownish/white mixture that occurs when antifreeze/water is mixed with the oil and aerated by the oil pump. You definitely don't want to see that on your dipstick or when draining oil.