starter question

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
i need to put a new starter on my 84 idi is a gear reduction starter a good choice or is there another option??????????/ thanks:dunno

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC all idi starters are gear reduction- I do think there are some upgrade options though

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitsubishi's are the stock ones, nippodenso are suppose to be an upgrade

I am running a nip and she starts alot better than the old starter, but it coulda been worn:dunno works good so what else could i ask it for;Really

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, The gear reduction is a good choice. The factory mitsu is a direct drive, and there is alot of load on that starter, which is why they will take very little abuse, and if you have any issues in the starting system, they will start cranking slower, and if your voltage is down they will draw alot of current and burn up.

The gear reduction starter will spin the engine over quicker. I believe the PSD's came with a gear reduction starter standard, I know my PSD turns over alot quicker than Trav's IDI with a mitsu.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, all my starters are "non" gear reduction types. The last starter we replaced WAS a gear reduction Mitsubishi, replaced with a Motorcraft streight unit (on the Scarlet Moose). Gear reduction units were not factory items to the best of my knowledge, and while I know they get a lot of good press here, I'm not sold that they are really that desireable. They have more parts, and the motor itself has to spin more to start the engine, so you have higher wear on the commutator and brushes. I guess the theory is they draw less current, so maybe a gear reduction starter is just better at masking problems with batteries and cables. :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online