Starter Problem / Testing

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next chapter in the ongoing adventure of getting my truck in running and working order...

I have recently had air intrusion issues that have exposed other issues with the truck. Now I am trying to track down a slow crank issue... and a no start (sometimes)

I replaced one battery with a new AA 950 CCA battery and (due to money constraints) replaced the other with a used 750 CCA deep cycle. In the process of this I noticed that the new batteries did not change the cranking speed of the starter at all (and it is somewhat slow). I noticed the voltmeter stayed low after gp cycle even with new batteries. After the truck starts it goes up to 14 or so where it is normal.

A few days ago I turned the truck on, waited for gp and cranked and JUST FOR A SECOND nothing happened.... then it cranked, started and ran for 20 minutes til I came out with my girls to take them to their mothers. Didn't want to break down with them along so I shut truck down and cranked again. This time nothing. No sound, no nothin. Came back later, cranked several times - nothing. Then, next day. Crank and VOILA!!! truck starts. Shut it down and cranked. Started a few more times. Started looking over battery connections and have had intermittent start / no start / blank spot then start.

I have checked voltage at the batteries and it is 12.6 on both. So ruling out batteries for now, I
Cleaned terminals, connections, peeled old wire and removed connections on loose fittings, cut back to clean wire, cleaned and crimped brass connectors back on, taped them up. Pass side battery had oily ground on block so I removed, cleaned bolt, block and wire and reconnected. Removed starter solenoid connections and wire brushed and bolted back down.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now because I have a leaking valve cover oil was running back onto the starter. It was completely covered so at the least I wanted to clean and inspect and I found some corrosion on the starter wire bolts and oil everywhere.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, the PO did not install upper bolt or it fell out, (guess which cause I'm leaning towards-cuss) so oil was running INTO the starter and into the fly wheel compartment and it drips out the little louvre on the cover plate.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have two separate problems and questions...

1. I would like to clean and inspect the starter (inside) and see if cleaning it will fix it but I have read about bad end bearings etc. Could you please give me some pointers on what to check / inspect on the internals? I will be posting pics of what I find on the inside soon, I got the outside cleaned up.

2. How do I address the oil on the flywheel and what do I need to inspect in there?

I added a missing nut to the valve cover and will be installing a new gasket probably this weekend. The internals of the starter and the flywheel housing are new areas for me so any advice is appreciated that will help me answer the two questions I have. And, as always, thank you!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a mess! This year commiefornia is implementing oil leaks into the smog test. If oil hits the ground the testing station can fail your car.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I don't have any oil dripping with any regularity. I get more out of my RDT then I do from the leaky vc, but it is still a mess. I will be cleaning everything from the engine compartment down as soon as the vc gasket is replaced. It is the last of the many leaks I have fixed on this truck since purchase.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a mess! This year commiefornia is implementing oil leaks into the smog test. If oil hits the ground the testing station can fail your car.

I could spend the next hour or so replying to your comment about commiefornia and how EXACTLY I feel about our government, but I will save that for another forum..... What a mess indeed.....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya better replace that old battery as soon as you can, the old battery will eventually ruin the new battery, they should always be replaced in pairs.
Your dead trying to start, is most likely the starter/solenoid mounted on the pass side fender, the contacts do get burn't and will not make electrical contact at times.
I wouldn't take the starter apart, there is nothing inside you can fix except replace the brushes,there is hardly any way for oil to get inside it, just clean the connections on the starter solenoid, they sure look corroded,rusted.
The oil on the flywheel won't hurt anything unless it's a manual trans,then it could effect the clutch.
If any good amount of oil is dripping out of the dust cover, it could be the rear seal is leaking, if it's an automatic, and the oil is red, then the trans pump to torque converter seal is leaking.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil can kill your starter. Had it happen on my little brothers ranger. Power steering fluid leak soaked it, and it would do exactly as you are describing.

Since you have it out, you can have the start Er tested at an app parts store.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil can kill your starter. Had it happen on my little brothers ranger. Power steering fluid leak soaked it, and it would do exactly as you are describing.

Since you have it out, you can have the start Er tested at an app parts store.

Will do. Thanks.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya better replace that old battery as soon as you can, the old battery will eventually ruin the new battery, they should always be replaced in pairs.
Your dead trying to start, is most likely the starter/solenoid mounted on the pass side fender, the contacts do get burn't and will not make electrical contact at times.
I wouldn't take the starter apart, there is nothing inside you can fix except replace the brushes,there is hardly any way for oil to get inside it, just clean the connections on the starter solenoid, they sure look corroded,rusted.
The oil on the flywheel won't hurt anything unless it's a manual trans,then it could effect the clutch.
If any good amount of oil is dripping out of the dust cover, it could be the rear seal is leaking, if it's an automatic, and the oil is red, then the trans pump to torque converter seal is leaking.

Truck is a manual trans transplant. Any idea how it would affect the clutch? Just curious what to look for. It's a relief to know that all that oil isn't too big a deal in there... As far as the starter....

I wiped this down a bit, but I wanted you all to get a look if you've never seen the guts of a starter..

EVERYTHING was coated in oil, but the majority was in the black casing and the front half of the housing. Cleaned out as best I could, but I'm going to have it tested before moving forward while I have it out. Need to pick up a bolt while I'm out anyway to replace the missing one... Starter after cleaning...

Sorry I didn't take any pics of the other end. A rubber gasket, two screws and I was able to clean most of it out without completely removing the parts from the housing.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that the starter may be poop anyway. There wasn't anything I could do for it besides clean it up good... I tore it apart mainly because I was curious but also because I don't have $80. I'm not convinced the starter is bad, but either way it was a worthwhile hour spent. I'll let the "pros" at AA test it for me LOL ..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Someone dropped/slammed that thing down. See the crack?

It's essentially pinching the inner piece. Can tell because it's a bit worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Mackerel, I've seen a lot of starters in my life, even used to rewind them, but never anything like that. Hope you polished up the commutator before putting it back together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online