stanadyne injection pump question

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
I have been scouring the junk yards for the last few weeks looking for ford diesels; finding only sad, empty shells of what was once an IDI truck :mad:

The reason I'm looking for parts is that the truck I purchased was not running when I bought it ($500) because there was gasoline in the fuel. I have heard horror stories about IP's going to h-e-double-hockey-sticks because of gasoline in the diesel, parts grinding to a deadly end. I have also heard of no residual problems, just drain the fuel tank and lines, replace the fuel filters, fill 'er up with diesel and, bam, she's a runner!

My question is this. The ford IDI uses a Stanadyne DB2 IP, and by chance so does the GMC diesel. I have found several GM diesels, and since the yard had a half off sale today I pulled a GMC IP today ($25). What parts interchange between these pumps, if any? If my ford IP is toast, can I use parts from the GMC one to rebuild the Injection Pump?

I have a 1985 F-250 with a 6.9l. I don't currently have the model # from my ford unit, but the stanadyne pump I bought today is:

FO DB2829 4779

Any help in this would be appreciated. Thanx

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey there.
Well the GMC diesels IP turns backwards compared to our IDIs. Have you even tried to run the truck? Allot of guys on here run gas mixed in their fuel. Its when you get gallons of it mixed that it turns out bad. Even then if it wasnt ran long with it in there it should be fine.
You need to let us know more about the truck. What makes you think it needs rebuilt?
And on a side note, these pumps require professionals to rebuild properly. Even some of the professional ones go back because of defects. They are very tempermental.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
I have no concrete info that the pump needs to be rebuilt, at this time. My reason for asking this question and having "a back up pump" is to try and save myself some time in the future IF the truck will not run properly.

The truck doesn't run right now because I am in the process of replacing the wiring harness, GPC and GPR. After installing the wiring harness and new battery cables I will be set to move into the next step, seeing if it will run as is mechanically. The truck has near 200k miles on the clock (or maybe 300K), and I doubt that the IP has been replaced. It looks fairly rough under the hood, so at this point it is turning into a restoration rather than a replacement. So is my life.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Dont worry about it man, you just purchased one of the highest mileage diesels ever made. The International IDI's are known to get well over 300k before ever needing anything major replaced.

I for one can vogue for that fact. My grandpas 83 with the 6.9 ran all of well over 580k before it was time to retire it. And that was with the original glow plugs and the original IP in there.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh, have you thought about wiring up a manual switch for the GP's? The factory controllers are known for not working properly and burning up the GP's.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
I don't know enough about the wiring harness yet to try and bypass anything. I want to get the truck as stock as I can first, get it running, then start altering little things (cut-soup bowl, ram air, larger exhaust, different fuel/water sep, gpc bypass, etc...)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i understand wanting to keep it stock but the latching relay is a failure prone system. It works well until it gets stcuk in the on position and that's when you get screwed. Just wire in a momentary toggle switch fused inline to the battery and to the glow plug relay as it is done on Zigg's website and hold the button no more than 6-8 seconds most of the time and never over 10 seconds at once and those suckers will last forever. Almost all the DB2 pump parts are the same but as Nebraska says they rotate backwards so they can't be used. If you really want to tackle a rebuild yourself you can get a kit on ebay pretty cheap, but almost everyone farms out the job to a professional builder since there is that risk of junking a good running core which will set you back an additional $150+ to the already $250-500 cost of a professional rebuild should you fail. A screw up with the governor could also cause the motor to run away and be the end of the engine. That said, many GM diesel enthusiasts tear into these DB2 pumps, but from what I can tell most don't do as complete an overhaul as your typical stanadyne shop does. It seems shaft seals and some other goodies can be fixed by the regular guy but a full rebuild requires a real shop and some experience.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jesse-
That was alot of work you did pulling the 6.2 pump. Unfortunately, outside of the designation DB2, only a couple of the internal parts will interchange. For starters, the mounting of the ford vs. the chevy is completely different. Everything else is a literal mirror opposite of each other. If you're not in a hurry, check in with me at the end of March, I should have a couple of 6.9 cores available.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't write off the existing pump yet, unless you know for sure that it is bad. If somebody filled the tank with gas, the engine would probably quit running before it did much damage.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
Thanx for all the info about the pump. Towcat, i'll see what i can find at some more pick-n-pulls, I have yet to go to the hayward one. I have 30 days to return a part if "it won't work", maybe i'll get lucky, find a ford with an IP intact, and trade. After I finish wiring the truck I'll see if it will run as is mechanically.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
I just spoke with the local Stanadyne shop in Oakland, CA. The tech stated that if the truck wouldn't run on the gas/diesel mix than it probably didn't run long enough to cause harm. They quoted me a calibration bench test at $165 (1.5hrs) if it still won't run after I have a chance to try and start the truck. Happy hunting all!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats a really good price! Im assuming that includes pump tuning and timing it to the truck.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you need parts for the wiring i got one for sale in the market place. I say get it running first if it won't then look at the IP. and welcome to OBN!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online