spindle nut size and axle play

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent some time today, swapping my winter tires on.

Ive had a lot of noise, a lot of rust, and a lot of wobble coming from the front passenger side.

So, I decided to check that out while I was at it.

There was wobble when I moved the wheel, side to side and up and down. Not much, but it was there.

There were some pretty big knots in the tread of the tire, so that explained most of it. But I decided to go ahead and take the locking hub off, and check out the innerds and bearings.

Well, I got as far as the spindle nuts, and discovered I do not have a socket for that. Here is an image of what I am working with.

You must be registered for see images attach

So, here is the first problem. Does anyone know what size that is? 1972 f250 xlt lariat. Warn hub.

Next up, while I was in there, I discovered that the spindle has a LOT of play in it. Up and down, side to side.

This video doesn't do it justice. t moves much more than it appears to in the video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Is it supposed to have that much play in it? My gut says no, and I wonder if one of the bearings is "gone".

Once I have the spindle nut socket, I'll be finding out.

Also need to start making a list of the parts I'll need, to completely replace the bearings and seals.

Last edited:

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

If anyone knows for certain, I'd like to know if that play is out of bounds.

I know the socket is available not only at autozone, but lots of other places. Problem is, they come in several sizes. I don't want to buy all of them that look close, just to get the right one. I was hoping someone would be familiar with the right size, given that it is WARN locking hubs, for a 92 f250.

:D

Plus, can someone supply me a list of the parts I am going to need, in order to replace all the bearings and seals?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's really much for bearings holding that stub shaft in. I thought there was just one needle bearing it kind of sits in on the far side and the hub locking mechanism supports the rest of it. I believe there's similar play on the ones in my parts truck. Which looks right according to this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1437040-d60-hub-axel-exploded-view-and-part-numbers.html

Perfect time to check your u joints while you're part way there.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you go in and ask for a socket for the D50 they should be able to point you to which one you need. you are looking for the ones with the prongs on it, right? i dont know if those have and actual size to them.

Black dawg

Reaction score
grab that stub shaft at the ujoint end with the lockout installed and see if there is looseness in that bearing. OUter end is supported by the lockout, and in and out should be controlled by snap ring on end of shaft.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bahahahaha! How in the world did I let that slip by me?

1992, of course. :D

And thanks for catching that!

fordw60s

Reaction score
That is about the usual slack as others have said. The outer end is held in the center by the locking hub. on the back side it is just a rubber seal and needle bearing that is on the inside of the spindle. if anything the needle bearings are dust by now. but since it doesn't look like that has been any water intrusion it is probably fine.
Spindle bearing kit (NATIONAL SBK3):
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online