speedometer quit & OD flashing

OLD93

Dennis
Reaction score
this morning on my way into work my speedometer & odometer quit working, at the same time my OD button started flashing. All the gauges continue working fine. Could this be a fuse or maybe the speedometer sensor in the rearend? Any idea's/thoughts would be great!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the speed sensor in the rear axle. You'll probably have to order one at the parts store, for whatever reason they don't seem to stock them.

Of course check the simple stuff, is the wiring connector secure on the sensor?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your ABS light comes on, that sort of confirms it. Get the speed sensor at your Ford dealer. It's a stock item.

OLD93

Dennis
Reaction score
Thanks!

I have read a lot of the forum since I purchased my truck last January and increased my knowledge greatly, I cannot thank you guys enough!

Thanks alot for sharing your knowledge!!

OLD93

Dennis
Reaction score
Still having issues

I replaced the speed sensor in the rearend, it drove great for for 3 days. Then the speedometer/odometer went to sleep. The #8 15 amp fuse blows-radio, bedlamp, courtesy lamps,speedo... Sitting still-not running key off, I cannot install a new fuse-it blows out. With the truck running I can put in a new fuse but it blows out when fast idle kicks down. I checked all connections on transmission-nice and clean. I also installed a new FIPL . Tach still works fine. I believe that covers all the sensors?
So do I just have a short who no's where?
Thanks for your ideas!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds ugly. If it is blowing consistently, your in luck. Put a test light on the downstream side of the fuse holder, and connect the ground probe to a positive voltage source. The light will be bright if you have a hard short, or dimmer if it's got some resistence to it. Once you get the light lit, you'll have to start wiggling stuff. I'd start by disconnecting the new speed sensor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online