Speedometer help

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I installed my zf last year my speedometer has read terribly slow, I expected it to be off from the beginning. The tranny is from an f450 that had 5:13's.. I am using the driveline brake as well, This is where the cable connects.. It currently has the stock gear in it now, I cant remember the tooth count but I can check if needed, If someone can give me an idea of what gear to try I would be thankful, It has 3:55's and 31 inch tires... Another issue I am having with it is the speedo will not work until it's driven at least 5-6 miles and only after a complete stop will it work and it will continue to work fine the rest of the day, This one makes no sense it acts as if the fluid needs to warm up first...

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a good deal on a set of 285 75's this morning, Puts me right at 10mph slow.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that there are different gears for in the drum brake, I've never heard of it, but it may exist, who knows. Check with Ford if there is a replacement part, that's the likely the best place to start!

RocketScott

Reaction score
It shouldn't be off by a fixed amount, should be a percentage. I changed clusters on my '87 F150 from a bronco and now it's off around 20%. I haven't had time to fix it but with the C6 it's just a matter of changing out the gear on the end of the speedo cable at the transmission. I'm not familiar with the driveline brake setup but you can probably find different gears for it.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm

I did have a E150 that read 18mph when it was sitting still and was always off by that amount (freaked people out when they thought I was driving 90 in a 70)