Sound Deadening

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Have any of yall installed any sound deadening material in your truck? What brand did you use? I was just curious as to if it was really worth it... stripping the interior of my truck isn't that bad but would be time consuming and that stuff aint cheap either. I figured the floor and firewall and possibly the doors would be all I would have to do I doubt the back of the cab would need any?. For those that did it where did you put it and did it help engine noise, road noise, and most important of them all how well would it deaden down the sound of a mud tire. Thanks

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
get a louder stereo! Dynamat can get pricey, I'm sure someone around here's done that..

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
jlayne,

I used "Brown Bread" made by B-Quiet, http://b-quiet.com/ but it was very expensive. I did the floor, front doors, rear doors, posts, behind the rear seats, everything except the roof, and that only helps during a rain storm. It helped a lot but was very, very labor intense. Not to mention it cost well over $200. You can hear the difference in sound just by removing the door panels, rear seat, if you have one, and the carpeting, then drive around. You won't believe how much noisier the truck is. So you then can imagine what it would be like with some sound deadening material added. The installation was IMO a PITA and I don't know if I would do it again. It's not exactly easy stuff to work with. I didn't even attempt to do the firewall. But that's only my opinion. I'm sure someone will chime in and say it was "no problem", "easy as pie"! LOL

LMD

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Got hearing aids? Just turn em off! :D

Earplugs work well for those that dont have em too. :yell:

On a more serious note... LOL The dynamat is good stuff, but pricey. Do as Swany said, invest in a louder stereo.

All depends on the vehicle too. if its a showpiece... do the dynamat. If its a daily runner. get the stereo.

RenoF250

Reaction score
I believe long ago Kim Lux told a story of how he clean the entire cab out and lined it with carpet pab covered by soft lead sheet. He sealed all of the seams and everything. Sounded like a real PITA but he said it made it very quiet. I like the sound of my engine so I am not to worried about it. I might throw some in the doors someday.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
I have already upgraded my radio to a unit. It is a Blaupunkt Chicago I don't mind the motor noise as much just the road noise, I have looked a dynamat, and the b-quiet stuff, just wanted some opinions on what was better before I bought a bunch of the expensive stuff.

lined it with carpet pab covered by soft lead sheet. He sealed all of the seams and everything.
I won't be going this route..that sounds like a total PITA... sounds like he is making a rolling fallout shelter

luvmydiesel4x4,
sounds like you did what i'm wanting to do... would you do it again... I guess what i'm asking do you think it was worth the time and money for the amount of quiet you got?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look into Ice and Water shield found at a roofing supply store. Its the same stuff as dynomat. a Vitrolbutylrubberasphalt whatever the heck the stuff is with a foil backing.

Only concern would be the smell of asphalt in the summer. Perhaps if you sealed it well enough around the edges with foil tape it might not be a problem tho.

SOOOOOooo much cheaper tho!

Another option would be to "rhino-line" the interior. Again, you'd have to remove everything, but it would help solidify the cab and prevent vibrations and rattling.

There is two types of sound work. Sound DEADENING, and sound DAMPENING.

Deadening involves using dynamat type substance to quiet down a thin piece of metal that is rattling or vibrating.

DAMPENING actually prevents noise from passing thru the material. DAMPENING material looks more like shredded cloth. CORK is also a good dampener, but is prone to moisture and rot if used in a vehicle.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Originally posted by jlayne
I have already upgraded my radio to a unit. It is a Blaupunkt Chicago I don't mind the motor noise as much just the road noise, I have looked a dynamat, and the b-quiet stuff, just wanted some opinions on what was better before I bought a bunch of the expensive stuff.

luvmydiesel4x4,
sounds like you did what I'm wanting to do... would you do it again... I guess what I'm asking do you think it was worth the time and money for the amount of quiet you got?

Let me put it this way. I no longer have to shout at my wife to carry on a conversation. I kind of shot myself in the foot though, I made the truck quieter and then put on an aftermarket exhaust system! :frustrate With the extra noise from the exhaust, the whistle of the Wicked Wheel & Mud Tires, you can see where I'm going with this. But the sound quality of the stereo is well worth the time and trouble of the entire project, if that's what your intent is. I think if it wasn't for the Brown Bread, I wouldn't be able to hear myself think! But sometimes it was nice pretending I couldn't hear my wife talking!

According to this:Here Brown Bread has been dis-continued and B-Quiet Ultimate is replacing it.

lined it with carpet pad covered by soft lead sheet. He sealed all of the seams and everything.
Sounds like this could weigh a ton! The BB or B-Quiet Ultimate is like a second skin. It conforms to every contour of the truck. Once you apply it, it's there forever. I've known guy's to use two layers of BB and their trucks are extremely quiet , almost as quiet as a gasser! But like you mentioned, I like the sound of my diesel engine! I love the wide open exhaust and especially the air horns!
Oh man, the air horns. It ain't a truck til' you got air horns!:cool

Good luck.

LMD