Someone whats this for

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you ask about the oil level? But yes and it was a touch low because i had a leak wich was either the grommwt being pushed all the way in or the bad oil drain gasket that was ripped in half.

But as far as color it looked normal no water or fuel in it that i could tell. Smelled normal too

Also i will consider the rivets when i get the turbo off but have the silicone plugs as a backup. If i can get the rivet gun down there i will do that.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Because if it's pushing oil pushed the injector orings, that oil will return to the fuel tank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh alright,not sure how we got to inectors though, my oil leak was visable coming down sides of the engine near the back, not like i was just loosing/burning it

But good to know i had no idea there was anyway for the oil to return to the fuel tank that's wild.

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just wrapping this thread up, today i spent most of the day taking the turbo off once again to address the holes in the valley pan and found a moderate amount oil puddled around the drain.

It looked like the rtv around the drain for the turbo didnt quite seal up.

So i replaced the npt plug square head with a npt hex head just for ease if i need to tighten it or remove it at some point.

I ended up taking the suggestion of using rivets and actually got some with a rubber seal already installed on them worked great picture below.

Other than that just punched several holes in the oil drain area where i should have in the first place, resealed the oil drain tube with plenty of rtv and put it all back together. Getting that npt plug back in was a challenge without taking the pedestal/uppipe out though, besides that went pretty smooth.

Thank you all for your wisdom.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I hope that there's a hole in that plug that you used to replace the factory plug. It's where the valley pan drains. Anything, oil, fuel, water from a leaking cowl seal, etc.

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there might be a misunderstanding i was speaking about the npt plug going into the old oil pressure sensor location wich is in the directions for the banks sidewinder installation kit.

The drain for the valley pan behind the grommet for the turbo oil drain remained as is i did nothing to it

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I understand now. I couldn't see that plug in your picture so I thought that you meant the valley drain. I have no idea what the thread pitch is, so I don't know if it's NPT or not.

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea you cannot see the oil plug wihout a mirror and a flashlight turbo on or leaning all the way over the engine with your head wedged under the cowl with the turbo off.