somebody help me E40D won't shift when the fuse for my speedo and odometer is in

wakeland01

Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says so the tranny in my 1992 ford f350 7.3 idi blew couple weeks ago I got a used tranny that I pulled out of the same truck I know the tranny is good but this is the issue I can't figure out so after I swaped trannys I had horrible acceleration keep in mind its a automatic but had good freeway speed and my speedo and my odometer weren't working so I changed the fuse it was just a 15 amp fuse but when I changed it the speedo and odometer worked after I swaped the fuse out but my tranny wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear and had no over drive so I pulled the 15 amp fuse that runs the speedo and odometer and now the tranny is back to where it has horrible acceleration but shifts through all gears so I'm having to manually shift from first second to drive just to take off at a decent speed with out my speedo or odometer working so what's the problem is sum thing not hooked up on my tranny or what! Need this fixed its my daily driver

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Start checking connections, and see if you can pick up a code reader/flash out the codes.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With speedo not working the trans won't shift automatically, you need to put the fuse back in. You may need to adjust the MLPS on the drivers side, there are marks to show where neutral position is supposed to be.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your TCM fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. It's a 20 amp Maxi fuse. I had a problem worth mine blowing because of my fuel preheater, which I unplugged and solved.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall specifically, but it's in the owner manual for the 7.3. When I had that problem my OD light was a constant on but very dim

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

wakeland01

Reaction score
When the fuse is in and the speedo is working my OD light doesn't work at all but when I pull the fuse and lose my speedo and odometer my OD LIGHT WORKS!

wakeland01

Reaction score
Hey man I appericate any help haha better then looking at it scratching my ass wondering what to do hahahaha

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Check your wire harnesses also check your ground wires. You have a bad connection someplace.

Your "horrible acceleration" is because the tranny is starting in a higher gear. This happens when there is no power to the TCM or solenoid pack.