Some hydroboost swap questions

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Picked up a hydroboost system at
junkyard today for $60 complete w/MC. One line twisted so I will have to
get a new one. Also got rod to pedal
and p/s pump cover with the return
nipple.
1. Are pedals the same can i use old one? Easy to change? (This one answered on FTE pictures showed about an inch height difference in pin placement)
2. Fluid required? ATF? It has regular
p/s fluid in it now
Any install tips appreciated. Ive read
tech articals on this

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as you have the same generation pedal bracket, you're in good shape. if you have an auto trans pedal, that is a definite no-go in attempting to convert to manual trans.

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
It is a manual trans. Mine is an 88 and unit is from a 90 f-super with manual also.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dis-assemble both. inspect the amount of damage on the casting from the plastic bushing wearing out. use the one in better shape. replacement bushings can be bought off the doorman/motormite rack. reassemble and use disc brake caliper grease as lube on the bushings. use the hydro brake pedal in any of assemblies.
install and enjoy a near effortless clutch for about 50k miles.

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Picked up the pedal assembly from the parts truck today. $40 for it but the pins are perfect. Wasnt too bad removing.

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Havent disassembled it yet but looks like the plastic bushings are good just looking onthe outside. They move easily by hand but will br replaced and greased before installation. Anyone know the dorman part # off hand?. I got the pin bushings.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pin difference is something like 3/4" IIRC - somewhere on here is the exact dimension. Might be in one of my threads, can't recall exactly. I cut the vacuum boost pin off and made a new pin out of a bolt - 7/16" IIRC? Through drill the petal and weld the head on the backside. I then got a bronze bushing to fit between the pin & boost pushrod.

On the clutch I recommend discarding that plastic POS entirely and using a brass/bronze bushing with e washer & cotter pin to hold it on. The plastic POS will eventually fail causing wear and the clutch to stop working... when you least expect it! :eek: